Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jepp FD Update times

10 Posts

I have been updating two iPads with Jepp FD today, both needing a 200mb enroute and 50mb terminal chart update.

Both took an absolute eternity (around 20-25mins) to download on a fast wifi connection. Does anyone else have it this slow or is it something with our iPads or wifi?

London area

Never seen it take that long.

EGTK Oxford

What coverage do you have? I have seen a JeppView update of a full (western) european coverage to a desktop PC over a fixed broadband connection. I also took 20-30 minutes. So if you have the same coverage it appears that these update times are normal, unfortunately.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Full Europe and N Africa coverage. The download rate was just abysmal – wondering if Jepp need to get a new pipe to their servers.

London area

I have the world wide cover, the updates don’t seem to too long, I can’t say exactly how long as I usualy start the update and walk away.

UK ADSL is 8mbits/sec down; 20mbits/sec at larger exchanges, and a lot more at very few places where they have fibre going close to the house.

Most of the UK is 8mbits which in practice means between 2mbits and 6mbits depending how far you are from the exchange, and how much water is in the various junction boxes…

Are you in the countryside, Josh? If so, you will be below 8mbits for sure.

At say 5mbits/sec, 250 megabytes would take 7 minutes. But there has been massive rain lately… at work we have lost ADSL and are running on a 3G backup.

But that assumes the server can serve it flat out. Most popular-site servers on the internet cannot serve big files flat out. I pay $20/month for the linode.com (peter2000.co.uk etc) server and that certainly can, but jeppesen.com is going to be heavily loaded especially as Jepp are trying to move everybody (they have approx 30k terminal chart customers, potentially downloading their entire sub area twice a month) off the DVD delivery onto download delivery.

Also you have no easy way of knowing it really is 250 megabytes. The whole-world Jepp database update DVD is 4GB and all of political Europe is about 1.5GB. That is just enroute and terminal charts. The (now obsolete) Raster Charts was another 3 GB. So if you are downloading just 250MB, that will be just a tiny bit of Europe – probably UK only.

Full Europe and N Africa coverage

Just seen that. No way is is 50MB even just for the terminal charts!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have all of Europe and it takes a couple of minutes. And this is in the country. Jepp FD only downloads changes not the whole package every time. So the size is probably fine.

Last Edited by JasonC at 09 Oct 13:23
EGTK Oxford

In that case it will depend on when it was last updated…

And how much water is in the cable

Also, to state the obvious, most commercial internet connections (hotels etc) are way below theoretical capacity because they are loaded up with people downloading p0rn movies.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It tells you the size of the files in the app while updating which is where I got the sites quoted from. It’s a company wifi connection in our hangar which runs rapidly when doing other downloads (syncing manuals via Dropbox and the like) but Jepp is always slow. It just seemed particularly slow as I was sat there watching it this lunchtime with nothing else to do. I suppose everyone is trying to download from the Jepp server on a Thursday as the updates have all just been released.

London area

Today, the update was extremely long.
I initially thought about my broadband or wifi connection, but the matter may have been from Jeppesen today.
Usually, it takes a couple of minutes to update my ipad.

Regards
Alexandre.

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message