Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lines in the Sea

I’ve a question for those more familiar with the sea surface than I.

I’ve often noticed patterns in the sea surface while flying. They are lines of some sort, but not straight (as you’d expect from a ship), and not zig zag (as you might expect a straight line to become after some surface movement) but rather details patterns or squiggles. Some are relatively straight but not like a ships path.

There are no ships or boats attached to either end, and they start and stop suddenly.

These are the kinds of things I’m talking about.

Anyone able to explain what causes them?

Thanks
Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Hard to tell. It could be some plankton stuff or some remnants of oil or similar, or just the wind. I see similar stuff all the time here in the fjord. Don’t know exactly what it is, but wind would be my first guess.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think it’s a mix of wind and currents. You see this also on lakes. Plankton and algae look different.

They are the trails of the famous invisible giant sea snails.

Actually they are caused by the wind. A competitive yacht racer will look at these patterns on the water to find the best wind.

Forever learning
EGTB

Thanks Stick. I take it (never noted at the time) that the wind runs along the length of the lines?

Any idea why they form lines rather than affecting the whole surface area?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I always wondered what these were. I think this was after departing the French coast at Cherbourg area. Any ideas?

Most likely oyster farms.

The patterns posted by Dublinpilot are definitely wind effects – as any windsurfer knows.

As to why the wind is not simply a steady flow, especially over the open sea, is a good question, and I have no idea I have had days when it is quite steady, and other days when it comes in gusts.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Any idea why they form lines rather than affecting the whole surface area?

Nope!

Forever learning
EGTB

As to why the wind is not simply a steady flow, especially over the open sea, is a good question, and I have no idea

It depends on the stability of the lower levels of the atmosphere. If it is unstable, you’ll see this effect.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message