Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying Ultralights in the Northeast of Italy - a teaser

Another update: tomorrow, SERA goes into effect in Italy.

As per this AIC, they now really subject all_ultralights_ to the Rules of Air (completely mad). Hence, they will now always have to fly at a minimum of 500 feet above the ground.

That is what the law says. What pilots will do is a slightly different story.

There’s a lot of other stuff in that AIC, different topic.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 Dec 17:57
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

this IS way pricy for 1hr for a microlight methinks even with an instructor.

I suppose these are the prices quoted to the general public for pleasure flights. When you’re there as a fellow pilot, chartering an aircraft for several hours, things may well be different (but I haven’t contacted them yet).

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

It is that, yes. But then I can’t blame them, they have a strong offer with the planes on D-reg and the very nice location and the many other nice details. I do not doubt they’ll have a lot of business, from customers who can afford those rates. A somewhat similar offer but then truly Italian, only a slight bit further south, is to be found here – no rates on their web site, as far as I could see, but they’ll surely be much more affordable. A few words of Italian will come in handy, though. Don’t fear, it’s easier than French – and so much more beautiful.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Just had a look at EROMA-FLY. Interesting.

But there was I thinking flying in the UK was pricy for Cat A aircraft never mind microlights but this IS way pricy for 1hr for a microlight methinks even with an instructor.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Bosco, I am 1.83, so we are in the same league ;)
The one I flew was a bit older:

EHLE

They can. They’re just not allowed to. Remember this is Italy.

Seriously: I don’t know exactly, but since the reason for these maximum altitudes is segregation with other traffic, I guess it’s a matter of getting some kind of permission and coordinating with ATC.

Just an obvious question. They make lots of great ultralights in Italy. How do they test them when they cannot fly above 500 ft ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

An update: as it looks, (legal) low-flying in basic ultralights (below 500 feet AGL) might potentially soon be a thing of the past in Italy.

As you all know, SERA is now coming upon us at the beginning of December. And SERA obviously calls for a 500-feet minimum altitude.

Basic ultralights were previously not subject to the italian Rules of the Air (and would thus neither be subject to SERA). However, by the looks of a draft floating around on the internet, ENAC seems to try to do that now, at least partially. Basic ultralights would then always have to fly within a vertical corridor of between 500 feet and 1000 feet.

It is not clear if that is because of some bureaucrats not knowing anything about the materia they are regulating (the standard case in Italy) or because they have a particular agenda. I’ve even heard the rumour that they want to “free up” the airspace from GND to 500 AGL for the benefit of drones.

AOPA Italy is apparently “at it”.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 16 Nov 13:02

Bosco, thank you. I will definitely check this out!

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Philipp,

sorry, forgot to answer your question: unfortunately, coming to Italy for just a few hours of ultralight flying experience is difficult. First of all – as mentioned on my website – one can’t rent an I-registered ultralight unless one holds the italian microlight license, which in turn is very difficult to get for a non-resident. Second, very few places rent out their aircraft to visitors. And third, English is not spoken very much in the italian microlight scene.

But there is a solution for you… Check out and contact this place:

- a beautiful location (Lake Garda)
- a wonderful little agriturismo with rooms, a restaurant and a swimming pool
- the entire place is run by a German couple
- they have German ultralight instructors
- they have approval as a an ultralight flying school
- they have D-reg. ultralights for training and for rent (among which, a Wild Thing, which is a great piece of kit)

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Nov 06:37
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message