Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

California/Florida in the summer. DA-40

We started planning our next summer vacations and we are thinking about going to the States. We’ve already been there a couple of times so we are chasing a new adventure. Right now we are thinking about flying to LA, hiring a car and driving along the coast to Vancouver, Canada and flying back to Europe from there. All in three weeks time. As a small deviation, it would be really nice to hire an airplane for 4-5 days to fly to Vegas, the Grand Canyon, the Catalina island and (if possible) to somewhere in Mexico. DA-40 is the aircraft of choice but a C172 will be OK as well. Preferrably a G1000 cockpit. I am totally convinced that there are lots of you here who did it already. I would really appreciate if you could send us to a good rental place around LA/San Diego. I have some experience flying in the States (about 25 hours). I can get an FAA license based on the EASA license I carry now (I did it before) as well as an FAA medical etc.

Florida/the Keys and the Bahamas are our second choice.

Last time, I hired a C172 at the WestAir FBO in Las Vegas but it is not a convenient starting point:

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Last Edited by kwispel at 07 Nov 20:57
EHLE

As a small deviation, it would be really nice to hire an airplane for 4-5 days to fly to Vegas, the Grand Canyon, the Catalina island and (if possible) to somewhere in Mexico. DA-40 is the aircraft of choice but a C172 will be OK as well. Preferably a G1000 cockpit. I am totally convinced that there are lots of you here who did it already. I would really appreciate if you could send us to a good rental place around LA/San Diego.

This site might be useful to you… DA40 Rental Search This is a search centered at a postal code (zip code) roughly in the middle of the area you’ve described. I have no direct experience with any of the companies listed, but I doubt any of them would approve the plane going to Mexico. The rest seems do-able.

I would really appreciate if you could send us to a good rental place around LA/San Diego.

Look no further: Link

Many thanks!!

EHLE

No DA 40s but a great outfit: http://justiceaviation.com at KSMO

Thoroughly recommend Angel City Flyers in Long Beach. Ask to speak to Erik.

Stapleford EGSG, United Kingdom

Yeah, another vote for Justice Aviation at KSMO. Or just south of LAX is a small airport called Hawthorne where I service my plane and trained. Beach Cities Aviation is run by FAA DPE Pat Carey and he’s a good guy. They’ve got about 6 172’s. No DA40’s.

Link

At my home field just east of downtown LA, KEMT, SoCal Flying Club has a few DA40’s they train with. Those planes are constantly in the air and train a lot, but if you book ahead in time I’m sure you can get some time in.

Link

You mentioned Catalina. it’s a truly great place to go, but some rental outfits are apparently picky about letting people go there. If you do go, make it an overnight so that you have time for the long shuttle ride down into the town, Avalon, and don’t miss the submarine ride. The ‘outback’ tours are good as well.

The airport is 1500’ elevation and has a good slope to it but a doddle in the 172, even if you have to go uphill. Not to be missed! The main challenge is finding a source of loaner or rental lifejackets. I had to bring mine from UK.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

If you’re making Catalina an overnight, be sure that the hotel takes a one night reservation. Easier in the week than the weekends. Have fun

You mentioned Catalina. it’s a truly great place to go, but some rental outfits are apparently picky about letting people go there.

I believe the reason for that is not as much the slope of the runway as the fact that there is a cliff at one end creating downdrafts with the right wind direction, combined with visual illusions. A few aircraft have undershot and bought the farm throughout the years. Watch for the wind direction and speed, do not get your speed too low on final and you should be fine.

LFPT, LFPN
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message