Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SERA mess

Here’s Austria’s take on SERA.

-some interesting (read: deviating) rules on minimum altitudes for Night VFR
-ban of IFR in uncontrolled airspace (in line with Germany…)

Otherwise I can’t see much that is different.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Great idea @jwoolard. I will definitely fill the Swedish SERA implementation differences.

ESTL

-ban of IFR in uncontrolled airspace (in line with Germany…)

Sorry, Bosco, that’s not correct. What they say is:

Flüge nach Instrumentenflugregeln außerhalb des kontrollierten Luftraumes sind nur nach veröffentlichten Verfahren zulässig.

Which translates to: IFR flights outside CAS are only permitted in accordance with published procedures.

Now, what they mean by ‘published procedures’ I have no idea. They don’t say anything about takeoff / landing in this context.

It was a simplification made on purpose.

True. They don’t 100% ban IFR flights in uncontrolled airspace, only by 99%. A couple of instrument approaches at uncontrolled fields (Vöslau and then?) and the initial parts of the respective SIDs lie in uncontrolled airspace. De facto, this equates to a ban of IFR in uncontrolled airspace and thus a fundamental breach of SERA. But as long as even pilots deny this, it is going to be a lost battle against the Germanic authorities…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@boscomantico: Interestingly, Austria now seems to allow NVFR in airspace G. That used to be forbidden as well, which was kinda annoying given that G goes up to 9000ft or even more in the west…

LSZK, Switzerland

Bosco, I’m not denying anything, it’s simply not what the German text says, although admittedly it’s vague.

@tomjnx: I don’t have an Austrian VFR chart to hand and it’s been about 10 years, but I have flown NVFR all the way from the German border to LOWW (landing there) a couple of times. IIRC, most of that route (essentially following the Danube) is in G airspace.

@172driver Maybe that changed lately, but we got a bollocking on the radio from Innsbruck when we approached them from the west, later we talked to the guy on the telephone, and he said the only way to legally fly NVFR to Innsbruck with a NA plane would be from the east

LSZK, Switzerland

“If I set up an online spreadsheet, will people contribute to completing the set of differences for each country?”

That is a very good idea. I would indeed fill in for Denmark. If we complete this, then both EASA, every EASA CAA and all the flying unions and clubs ought to be grateful forever.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message