Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Removing ice before flight (pump-up dispenser and fluid type) - merged

This sounds related to a problem discussed in this EASA SIB. There have been some unpleasant incidents in (at least) Sweden and Canada involving (relatively) low-speed aircraft using thickened (type II and IV) decing fluids.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I bought the Stratos 5

It appears well made and weighs next to nothing when empty

The little cylinder in the middle of the brass tube of the sprayer is a joint which I made there. I removed about 15cm from the length of that brass tube, so that when the spray handle is placed in the supporting bracket, the nozzle doesn’t quite touch the floor. As standard, the support bracket cannot be used; I guess they intend this to be carried as a backpack, so the overhang doesn’t matter. When this is carried in an aircraft, one would put a plastic bag over the spray nozzle, to catch anything that drips out.

I haven’t tested it with TKS yet

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We use these. They’re fine with TKS.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I just got a Hozelock 5L one too – no reason to get an expensive one. May have to use it in Mannheim in the morning. Brought 20l of type 1 fluid as well as a brush. Thanks all for the tips.

Peter, I paid £7.99 for mine. What is the reason for getting the expensive one?

Last Edited by JasonC at 19 Jan 22:59
EGTK Oxford

So of course the solution to icing is to take everything with you as I did yesterday. 20L type I fluid, sprayer etc.

When you have it you get no icing. Like taking an umbrella!!

EGTK Oxford

The Gloria sprayer is really well made. I pumped it up to 2 bar and it leaked down to 1.5 bar after about a week, which is pretty good.

Administrator

Two large towel’s. Wet them. Then heat one in a microwave till hot. Then spread over the aircraft. While one is laid on the aircraft the other is warming in the microwave. Works well as long as it’s not to cold.

Bathman wrote:

Two large towel’s. Wet them. Then heat one in a microwave till hot. Then spread over the aircraft. While one is laid on the aircraft the other is warming in the microwave. Works well as long as it’s not to cold.

If only I had a microwave on the ramp in Gothenberg two weeks ago….And a really tall ladder.

Last Edited by JasonC at 10 Dec 22:33
EGTK Oxford

In the end, @Peter, did you use the equipment ?

How much ice is too much for departure ?
Do you all consider that the aircraft should be perfectly free of ice ? Or just account for some less performances ?

Nice schemes this morning:

I considered that was not flyable, and as I don’t have equipment except my hands, asked the sun to take care of it. It took an hour.

PS: just, for those who feared spiders during their childhood, I offer you a revenge…

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 18 Dec 14:44

Super pics

I have not used it yet. I took it with me on the ski trips in March 2016 but the airport temp was above zero anyway by the time I was departing. I kept the TKS fluid in the 5 litre container so didn’t have to fill the “spray apparatus” and then have to worry about it possibly leaking out, until actually needed.

As regards how much ice is OK, I would clean the wings and the elevator completely, but the fuselage is not so critical because that is just drag, and I know an airframe covered in dead flies goes at exactly the same speed. I would obviously clean the windows with the stuff too, because scraping the ice will just damage the plastic.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message