Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Icing for General Aviation Pilots (Video)

Enjoy and sorry for my english:

EDAZ

Brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing this.

A brilliant and informative video. Great work!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Very well documented. Your English is fine :-)
Thanks!

I fly a DA40 that has no deicing and an aerodynamic wing shape. No way you can do this in a DA40. It’s very sensitive to icing…

Agree, same with an SR20. It would have quit to fly even with less than the ice Björn had.

That’s certainly an advantage of the more classic (thick wing) designs like the 210 and the Bonanza. Definitely makes them more capable IFR aircraft.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 31 Dec 17:56
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I’m learning and never encountered ice. You’re a great teacher !!!
Thanks a lot for this lesson :-)

LFLY, France

Great video, thanks for all the effort!

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I found this posted on another forum and responded to it in the following manner:

It almost seems like he wanted to make this film a tutorial for flying with the chance of icing encounter. The dialogue was put in after. I think it was well done video of an icing encounter and strategies for frontal passage.

I learned a few things.

Would like to know if his 210 was turbocharged.

My comments for all those watching is that it was dangerous to allow that much ice to develop because its not the weight
but rather the disruption of the airfoil. He did say as much when he mentioned that clear ice disrupts the airfoil less than rime.

Its not surprising that he developed ice under the wing when he had to raise the nose in order to maintain alt.

So at any point I would be concerned towards to end of the flight that a stall would develop either regular or possibly a tail stall. Also Im wondering if the wings dont stall uniformly a spin might develop.

He probably figured since there was warm air below he could experiment and see what develops and if things get too far out of hand he could always descend.

The other thing which can be an issue if a regulatory agent sees the clip they might decide to take some sort of action.

But overall it was interesting to see how things developed.

Ive had some nasty icing experience before I installed my TKS. Its worth every penny especially in Europe where most of the airways have a MEA FL100 or above

I was very curious to see on board wx. Can you give me some info on it? I used to have WMX weather for my Garm 496 in the US but they dont have it here. I really miss it.

KHTO, LHTL

It’s all here. The man behind the product, Sebastian, is a regular here.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Jan 17:42
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message