Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying for business in Europe

I have to admit that the TGV (I can walk to both of the stations in Paris) has just about decimated my business flying.

Worse yet, my base (LFPN) lost customs service last year …

Last Edited by Michael at 08 Jan 08:37
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

On http://www.stephan-schwab.com/airtravel/ I have written what and how I do it.

This is an experiment in progress and I share publicly what I learn in return for the information and help I receive from others.

So far the biggest hassle is ground transportation at the destination. The most positive aspect is to get out of the cattle drive situation at CAT airports, which is time consuming and aggravating.

However, the ground transportation issue is not different with trains or CAT. I also wish that car rental were as painless in Europe as it is in the US. Sometimes it is.

Frequent travels around Europe

Essentially I bill the business per hour flown so it is along the lines of charter. VAT is paid. UK tax stuff is difficult but I also pay and pay VAT on personal use.

It costs all in about £1/nm to run the aircraft and obviously you need to bill at a higher rate than your cost. In my experience it seems similar in cost to flying business class. That said my aircraft is fairly expensive to operate. But it is the flexibility in being able to fly direct to places that would otherwise be a real hassle that i find to be the major benefit.

I also often arrange for a meeting at the airport. There is usually a restaurant or in some of the more jet-terminal like places (Cologne) you can get a conference room there. Not cheap but when you add in taxi fares etc it works out ok.

EGTK Oxford

I also often arrange for a meeting at the airport. There is usually a restaurant or in some of the more jet-terminal like places (Cologne) you can get a conference room there. Not cheap but when you add in taxi fares etc it works out ok.

Which is an interesting idea for workshops or similar activities.

In my case I sit with my client next to them at their desk and work with them (pairing). But it is great to arrive in a good mood inspired by the nice flight in the morning with the mind pretty sharp or have a nice flight back home in the afternoon or evening.

The flexibility is the best reason for GA travel. By that I mean the fact that there are no time tables nor third party schedules to adhere to. I wish airports in some parts of Europe would not “close” though…

Btw: I would like to gather some information about that. Maybe we can make a list of European countries where airports can be used H24 and where there are operating hours and a landing is not allowed.

Frequent travels around Europe

One could establish a company in the middle of nowhere, like I did. I have a concrete runway close by, however when flying for business I always need a plan B (in my case a two hour drive tothe nearest airport) when the weather is crappy. I am lusting for some kind of de-icing capability or even more drooling ME FIKI..plane…..Well, you can sleep in your aircraft, but you can’t fly your house….Still I prefer sleeping in my house
I hate airline flying…I was in front of closed check in desk a couple of days ago due to traffic and had to run with my luggage to the gate, of course the security screened my luggage with some liquids and I had to put out my shoes also …I was running to the gate on my socks…(almost)…It’s so much less of a hassle when I take my own bird (when the weather plays along)…

EBST

The few times I did it to places like Paris or Prague, I always regretted it.

What’s “Paris” in this context? LFPN?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

What’s “Paris” in this context? LFPN?

That’s another problem, there is no Paris in a GA context, only very remote places LFPN is a very good airfield just not in Paris. Often there is the (very expensive) option to use a big CAT airport.

Real business use of GA starts when I hire what next with his Citation to bring me from A to B. Unfortunately that is not compatible with my frugal calvinistic upbringing

That’s another problem, there is no Paris in a GA context, only very remote places LFPN is a very good airfield just not in Paris

Name just ONE major Capitol city that has a GA airport within 20 kms of it’s center !

Paris has 2: LFPN and LFPL

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Name just ONE major Capitol city that has a GA airport within 20 kms of it’s center

There are actually lots but it depends on whether by “GA” you mean it in the “UK GA” context i.e. “under 10 quid” Then there are probably none. Otherwise you have loads e.g.

Prague €200
Zagreb €100
Athens €150

and many more, just not in UK, Germany or France.

All above with Customs and Avgas and IFR.

LFPN Pontoise was poor for Paris due to the travel time to town centre (I did it once and it took 2 hours so 2x worse than Biggin Hill) and now is useless for me due to having no Customs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

and many more, just not in UK, Germany or France.

If the price tag isn’t an issue, why is Berlin not in the list? From my understanding, both Tegel and Schönefeld (the former less so) are fine for GA if you’re willing to pay?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
Sign in to add your message