Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying for business in Europe

I used to fly a lot to Belgrade this summer for a business and it saved me tons of time. Although Zagreb to Belgrade is less than 4 hours of driving by car, traffic jams on border during holiday season were enormous – one could wait 3 to 4 hours just to cross the border. Replacing this with one hour flight was priceless being able to start in the morning finish everything during the day and be back in the same day. However, from the last month there are two flights daily on this route with airliner at very low price which makes my flying too expensive for my company.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I have returned to gainful part time employment is Singapore consulting for an IT company there, and part of my negotiation was to cover my Jetprop expenses from Phuket, circa 2:30hrs one way.
Having costed it out (fuel, handling) it is as Jason says pretty much even with the cost of a return business class ticket, so the company is quite happy to foot the bill which I am charging at cost, – no engine reserve factored in.

I love the flexibility of using my own aircraft and the fact Aviall have a local office in SG that delivers to the local GA airport (WSSL) here tax and shipping free. :-)

I am fortunate to be outside the scope of any local tax authority in this region so I am happy to subsidise the maintenance costs myself for the privelage of using it for personal transport.

Cheers. E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

Peter – Over the last 20 years, I have always used your base, Shoreham, when going to London . Short walk over to the train station then 40 minute train ride, more effiecient than Biggin and less time in the air. That was before they closed our customs at LFPN

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Tegel and Schönefeld (the former less so) are fine for GA if you’re willing to pay?

In fact in Germany all airports are fine for GA if you are willing to pay. Only EDDF Frankfurt is very expensive (aroud 1000 Euro) and EDDM München is also expensive (around 200 Euro) and it is difficult to get a slot. You can fly to all the others for a maxmimum of 100-200 Euro. This is expensive for fun GA but if you tavel for business this does not matter compared to the cost of the flight, Taxi etc.

Berlin Tegel EDDT is a special case. You can also fly there and it is not even very expensive but they have very limited parking space so usually you can only stay 2 hours or so.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Cheaper and more time efficient to fly to Brussels unfortunately.

Achim, I can never believe that. EBBR must be much more expensive than all the others (did I hear of 400 € for a C172/PA28?), and can never be quicker than Oostende or Kortrijk – less time from plane to parking lot AND much less congested roads – the Brussels ring motorway is the most saturated in the country and you have to do one of its worst parts, over the Vilvoorde viaduct.

The one disadvantage of the West of the country is, they tend to drive like fools there, there have been several mass collisions in fog.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Achim, I can never believe that. EBBR must be much more expensive than all the others

I have lots of commercial flights to EBBR and I live right next to the metro that takes me into the airport terminal. Of course I wouldn’t fly to EBBR in my aircraft, probably one hour taxi to the apron alone… With hand luggage alone, EBBR is quite efficient for CAT.

the Brussels ring motorway is the most saturated in the country

Yes but going out of Brussels in the morning is bearable, the main traffic is going to Brussels at that time.

Ah, if you meant “being flown into EBBR on an airliner” I misunderstood you. All clear, now.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Peter – Over the last 20 years, I have always used your base, Shoreham, when going to London . Short walk over to the train station then 40 minute train ride, more effiecient than Biggin and less time in the air. That was before they closed our customs at LFPN

Certainly Brighton has a far better connection to London than Biggin. Unfortunately the Shoreham-London direct trains run only to London early morning, and only from London only in the evening (both intended for rush hour commuting). So a direct Shoreham-London train is not available most of the day. But yes still much better than the 100 quid taxi from Biggin to anywhere with a coffee shop

That is why Biggin’s management objected to Redhill getting a hard runway Redhill is right on the London-Brighton train line… That said, I don’t why Redhill doesn’t do the plastic reinforcement (about 100k) and proper drainage (another 100k?). They already have ATC so LPV approaches would be a simple admin matter plus about 30k.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Name just ONE major Capitol city that has a GA airport within 20 kms of it’s center ! Paris has 2: LFPN and LFPL

Prague has FIVE aerodromes with reasonable landing fees within ~20 km (LKVO, LKLT, LKBU, LKTC, LKKL), one of which is IFR (LKVO). That’s in addition to LKPR (the big one) and LKKB (mostly military, but also a few well-connected GA outfits).

Not capitals, but major cities:
Cologne has two – EDKL (VFR grass) and EDKB (VFR tarmac) in addition to EDDK.
Hamburg has three – EDHO, EDHE, EDHI – in addition to EDDH.
Munich has three – EDMO, EDMD, EDNX – in addition to EDDM.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 08 Jan 16:26
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
The only airfield in the Munich area with a remote chance for landing there is Oberschleissheim, PPR and limited landings per year. Dachau is glider only, and Oberpfaffenhofen for business only related to local companies there. Sorry, that´s it …. Vic
vic
EDME
Sign in to add your message