Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airborne photos of beautiful beaches

is this Tetiaroa, Brando’s island?

Yep !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Off for a little outing with my wife and friends to Menorca. Thought of making some pics to contribute to this thread, as there are many nice beaches in Mallorca and Menorca. But down low, it was all a bit hazy, so I went up and decided to go through the mountains. You know, you people from the Northern part of Europe inject some billions into your Southern EU fellow countries, but also push down some nice cold air once in a while. For both of which we are grateful! The last batch of cold air enabled us to see our beloved mountains turn into real Alps. Bet you did not expect these sceneries from Mallorca..

For those of you who do not accept my horrible thread drift, let me post this one then. All of you have a current medical, so you have eyes like a hawk and can clearly see that beach at your one o’clock. If you don’t, well, my final line of defence is that this mountain once was a beach, a gazillion years ago.

Note the radar on top. Used to be a US radar installation until the 60’s or so, and is now a Spanish/NATO base keeping an eye on the Russkies in case they want to use the soft southern belly of the EU to invade us (probably a sensible decision). The equipment is also used for civil ATC fortunately.

All right, in case I have not convinced all of you that this is a completely unauthorised thread drift, here’s a pic of a beach in Menorca on our return trip today. Believe me, there is a beach underneath. It was rather windy.. And bumpy! Actually, I saw 48 knots at 1000 ft. Even my lovely, usually very lively and talkative lady turned quiet for a while. But that got all back to normal approaching Mallorca again, where I was forced to put the ‘pilot isolation’ switch on again. It is so interesting to see the enormous differences in wind patterns between the islands. The Mistral and/or winds bending off the Pyrenees (if flowing on the French side from West to East they bend off to the South, hitting Menorca, but not Mallorca) really create different climates and vegetation.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Georgia, United States

A few minutes later….

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

The ~100 miles long beach south of La Rochelle, all the way down to Biarritz

East coast of Brac, Croatia

Guernsey

Near Losinj, Croatia

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Random north west Highland’s.

Departing 31, Islay.

Sandwood Bay, just south of Cape Wrath (approx 4 miles from nearest road).

Maupiti, French Polynesia

LGMG Megara, Greece

Bora Bora, French Polynesia

LGMG Megara, Greece

NaoNao, off Raiatea, French Polynesia, WWII makeshift field

LGMG Megara, Greece

Tetiaroa (Brando’s island), French Polynesia

LGMG Megara, Greece

Old fortress area, Skiathos, Greece

LGMG Megara, Greece
Sign in to add your message