Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft without a stall warner and without a heated pitot tube

What are the views on this combination?

Presumably in clear VMC, low workload, but always hand flying, it should be OK because you can feel the stall buffet so if you are really on the ball you should have time to react.

But if you have an autopilot, there is a pretty good chance of getting caught out, and much more so in IMC which can be legal in the USA (I don’t know if IFR certification of US homebuilts requires a stall warner and a heated pitot).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t think I would have any problems flying and landing my aircraft without ASI and stall warner. I would choose a longer airfield than my home airport for sure but I know enough about power settings and usual attitudes to do this.

During IR training, I was told to always keep the pitot heat on. On a nice CAVOK day, I turn it off, even when under IFR.

I learned to fly without a stall warner, so it make little difference to me. It’s a pain when practicing slow flight and benefit in the final stages of a normal landing – tells you you’re on speed without looking down.

Nothing I’ve ever flown has had a heated pitot (or an autopilot) but on the other hand I don’t fly in weather that would require it.

I did flight training on our Minerva. No pitot tube heat , no Stall Warning, no VOR, no Autopilot. And no eagerness to encounter IMC.

Last Edited by mh at 26 Jan 15:56
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Well, I started flying in gliders, no pitot heat, no stall warner. But plenty of accidents with people trying to stretch their glide or after the tow rope breaks and then stalling in from low altitude. A stall warner is not such a bad idea after all. Not every aeroplane has benign stalling characteristics.

And even with heated pitot tubes (switched on and working) I have experienced them to freeze, especially in Pipers where the heater is marginal. No big deal in itself, but when anything else fails – usually problems come in groups and not alone – it might make a situation worse than it has to be.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Why do you ask?

According to part NCO, stall warning is not required. Heated pitot tube is required for IFR and VFR-N. For the moment in Norway, and experimental or Annex II aircraft does not need to have heated tube for VFR-N, but need so for IFR.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

My experimental operating limitations state that it is day/VFR only unless equipped in accordance with 14 CFR Part 91.205. There is no other IFR certification per se other than a current transponder and static system check.

91.205 does not specify either heated pitot or stall warner.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

No pitot heat. No A/H. No DI. T/S is venturi powered. Stall Warner works. Just stay VMC. No problems in 15 years. Previous Jodel had a working A/H but stall warning came on at best rate of climb speed. No pitot heat. I flew it at night. No problems in 9 years. About 1500+ hours in them. More than 15 night.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

A number of aircraft types I have flown were not equipped with a stall warning system, and some not a heated pitot. The Citabria and Tiger Moth come to mind. But interestingly, the turbine powered Siai Marchetti 1019 does not have a stall warning systen, which I found surprising for such an otherwise well equipped aircraft. No problem though, just one less thing to distract you!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

The Aerostar is certified without a stall warner. It gives such ample warning (buffeting) well before the stall, FAA didn’t see the need for it.

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message