Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The deep stall

Yes some lift is produced even in a deep stall, but drag, and especially turbulent wake drag means an eefective collapse of the lifting ability. Your comment above suggests slow stable flight is possible – suggest this would only be possible with some kind of vectored thrust…and lots of it.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I took this during unaccelerated high powered level flight in a 182 amphibian. Flaps were 40 degrees. Aside from possibly overheating the engine, the plane would have flown this way until you ran out of fuel. Coordinated turns up to 10 degree bank were easily possible at this attitude. IAS was about 40 MPH, but that is meaningless due to position error. A coordinated stall in this attitude does not threaten a spin.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Wow that’s crazy. How did you manage your speed at that attitude. I would’ve thought it would be extremely speed _un_stable at that end of the drag curve.

No problem in a C182. You can keep it level with the rudder quite easily. It’s a scary attitude though, your only view is through the side window. The Cessna high wing airframes don’t really go into spins by themselves, you have to hit the rudder hard and depending on the model, only left spins are possible.

PS: I tried the same in a TB once (at the FI’s insistence I have to add) and this was scary. It drops suddenly and violently over one wing. Shortly after I had regained consciousness the FI said with a grin: “See, not all aircraft are like your Cessna tractor”.

Last Edited by achimha at 06 Feb 08:07

It drops suddenly and violently over one wing

Mine certainly doesn’t; something was badly wrong with that one. Maybe the ball was way over to one side? A coordinated stall just wallows around, without any tendency to wing drop. The PA38 is something else though…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t know about the TB, but in an attitude like the one shown above the Cirrus will certainly drop a wing, although recovery will be easy. and if the ball was centered to spin will occur.

My Warrior on the other hand will fly at similar attitudes, no problem. Stall warning blaring it will just hang there …

The TB engine would overheat in minutes at Vx (about 10 degrees up) never mind at 30 degrees up

I think the reason the PA28 doesn’t overheat is because most of them don’t have a [working] CHT gauge

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“Minutes”? I don’t know for how long others fly in attitudes like that … I maybe do it for 30 Seconds, or maybe ONE minute :-) An O-320 will have no problem with that.

The PA38 is something else though…

I did my PPL training on PA38 and confirm that the first time I entered a spin with that plane was quite an experience. I think I did make a scary (or scared) noise like “whooooaaaa”.

LFPT, LFPN

You can keep it level with the rudder quite easily.Quote

I use the rudder for maintaining directional control, and the ailerons to maintain level, keeping both coordinated with reference to the ball. This is the technique specified to me by my test pilot mentor (though it is what I do anyway).

Just to refresh, the prevailing design requirement states:

Wings level stall.

(a) It must be possible to produce and to correct roll by unreversed use of the rolling control and to produce and to correct yaw by unreversed use of the directional control, up to the time the airplane stallsQuote

Using the rudder to attempt to keep wings level near the stall is the recipe for a spin entry in a modern type certified aircraft. I have inquired, and this “rudder only” technique seems to have evolved with some WW2 era aircraft, which were not type certified to modern (later than 1949) standards.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
Sign in to add your message