Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Who decides what language must be used at which airport?

A few years ago, I visited a small German airport.

The Jepp page (or perhaps it was the AIP…too long ago to remember) that I used didn’t list (EN)glish as a language that could be used over the RT. Neighbouring airports all had the EN noted, but not this one.

I wrote them an email enquiring about a few things, and asked if it was possible to visit using English only. Their reply said “Of course! We speek English!”. So I visited, and I used English over the RT and everything was fine.

But thinking back, do they (the INFO tower at the airport) have the authority to authorise that, or is the languange to be used over the RT at a particular airport set by the German CAA and only they can make exceptions?

What about in France? Can the airport authority make an exception, or is a change required by the DGAC? What if there is no radio service and only A/A. Can the airport make an exception to the FR sulement requirement?

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

In Germany, you need to possess a radio certificate in order to legally participate in ground-air communication. This is the only (!) formal requirement an AFIS needs to meet. If he got a BZF I (German radio certificate for VFR in English), then he can legally speak English on the radio.

Therefore you are fine and in case there is no English, check if NORDO is possible. Even when the AIP plate says radio communication is required, they can still give you NORDO permission. I would be very surprised if you had to cancel your plan to fly to an airfield in Germany because of the language.

Thanks Achimha.

So if I understand you correctly, it’s not to do with the airport, but rather then AFIS officer’s qualifications. If they have somone one duty that with with the right qualification, then they can use English, and if not, then they can’t.

Presumably then EN on the plate just means that all AFIS officers there have English, and if it’s not listed, then somewhere between 1 and all of the AFIS officers don’t have English.

Can anyone answer the French side?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Exactly, Colm. And should the AFIS not be able to speak English, there will surely be a pilot that can do the super important job of AFIS while you perform your traffic pattern precision approach.

Yes, but as so often we must distinguish between the legal and the operational. Operationally, I cannot imagine there could be much of a problem in Germany for a pilot with only English language. Legally otoh I do believe it is the official source of aerodrome information that decides.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

What about in France? Can the airport authority make an exception, or is a change required by the DGAC? What if there is no radio service and only A/A. Can the airport make an exception to the FR sulement requirement?

The language requirements are published on the VAC. As far as I know, an airport as no authority to make discretionary exceptions.

Bordeaux

Yes, but as so often we must distinguish between the legal and the operational. Operationally, I cannot imagine there could be much of a problem in Germany for a pilot with only English language. Legally otoh I do believe it is the official source of aerodrome information that decides.

I’ve known some FISOs who refuse to answer the radio if it’s in English and the plate says GE. Best is to do what DublinPilot says – if it’s GE only, write and ask, usually they will accommodate you, just don’t turn up and expect them to reply…..

EDL*, Germany

The language requirements are published on the VAC. As far as I know, an airport as no authority to make discretionary exceptions.

Thanks Jojo.

What is the position on visiting these French airfields non-radio? Is that allowed?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Hi DB,

You have to look at the VAC and comply at all times with the published instructions – the VAC will tell you if FR is mandatory / radio is mandatory

For example: no mention of FR-seulement = you’re ok to speak English

Radio mandatory:

Bordeaux

while you perform your traffic pattern precision approach.

I thought the RNP 0.002 approach at Bonn-Hangelar is suspended.

United Kingdom
113 Posts
Sign in to add your message