Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Who decides what language must be used at which airport?

The CAA would have to invent a French test, or the DGAC would have to create a test just for foreign pilots.

I remember reading before that the DGAC provided for this, by issuing a “certificate” to pilots who passed the French LP test, but didn’t hold a French licence. They considered, holding that certificate, to be sufficient to use FR Only airfields.

Can’t say that I ever heard of anyone getting such a cert though….

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I remember reading before that the DGAC provided for this, by issuing a “certificate” to pilots who passed the French LP test, but didn’t hold a French licence. They considered, holding that certificate, to be sufficient to use FR Only airfields.

This is correct (recently confirmed at an FI course I attended where I asked how non-French pilots are supposed to obtain an FR language endorsement).

But goodness knows how one would go about trying to obtain such a certificate. Email to the DGAC anyone?

Bordeaux

Yes, but this is only required by pilots who don’t have the English endorsement. FCL.055 refers.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bosco, we’re talking about an FR endorsement for pilots who want to use FR-only fields? Fields where one can’t use English…. Or is this the start of another language argument?

Bordeaux

Bosco, we’re talking about an FR endorsement for pilots who want to use FR-only fields? F

Yes. Exactly. FCL.055 says it all.

Please elaborate Bosco?

Bordeaux

I don’t know where you are going.

By any chance, are you saying that if you have the English endorsement and you want to fly to FR-only fields, then you need to the French endorsement in addition? Indeed, this has been beaten to death already, so let’s not start it again.

Did I point to FCL.055 yet?

Yes, I am saying that. If you want to fly to FR-only fields, you need a French endorsement.

Bordeaux

Fine.

I must admit that FCL.055 is not totally clear cut:

(a) General. Aeroplane, helicopter, powered-lift and airship pilots required to use
the radio telephone shall not exercise the privileges of their licences and
ratings unless they have a language proficiency endorsement on their
licence in either English or the language used for radio communications
involved in the flight
. The endorsement shall indicate the language, the
proficiency level and the validity date.

Taking France as an example, I would find it strange if pilots who may speak a few words of French phraseology, but would be otherwise hard pressed to understand or reply to a call from another station, could legally use French for R/T in France. It would be just as strange as to authorise non-English speakers to land at Old Sarum when he/she barely manages to pronounce “downwind”, “base” and “final”.

A French pilot cannot leave France unless he has English LP in his license. So why would a non-French speaker be allowed to land at airfields with French RT only?

The intent of FCL.055 is to improve mutual understanding. Therefore it has to be interpreted such that FR LP is required where FR RT is required.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 14 Mar 12:38
LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message