Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying and the older pilot

If you lose your medical and want to fly with a Co in a SEP he will have to be in the LHS to be legal.

Nice to see you here Chuck, and great to hear you are still flying at 80!

I hope I can emulate that

If you lose your medical and want to fly with a Co in a SEP he will have to be in the LHS to be legal.

That highly depends…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Depends on what, Peter?
We’ve had this discussion so many times … but all we could ever come up with was that there is no way the PIC can be in the right seat, he has to be in the LHS. At least that’s the case in Germany.
What else do you know about it?

Normally, an aircraft certified for a single pilot can be flown from either seat, unless the POH prohibits it.

I have no idea what rules Germany has.

Administrator

Great to read your story, Chuck! Very inspiring!

I hope I can still aerobat at 70, although I know for sure (?) that I won’t be pulling anything like +8 or -4. Heck, dems only for real pilots !

Bordeaux

A good and similarly experienced friend (I will never in several lifetimes reach his level of experience) does aerobatics a couple of times a week in his early 70s, but he keeps it under about 4 or 5 g positive. Virtually every approach to landing at home involves a 4 g turn…. Flop, chop, prop and drop. Either he or Chuck are great examples of what can be done, nature willing.

there is no way the PIC can be in the right seat, he has to be in the LHS.

I’ve never heard that before. How could you do training flights?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In basic training, within a school, when the RHS is occupied by an FI, it’s possible. But in types that have no multicre cockpit the left seat is the one for the PIC. In a geman aircraft if the seat for the PIC is not specified in the POH it is automatically the LHS where the PIC has to be. I do not know if it’s the same abroad though.

I have never heard of a restriction of PIC to the LHS in the countries I have experience; NL and Spain. I would also not understand the reasoning behind such restriction if one can see and operate the primary flight instruments from the RHS. And you will be able to, even if they are on the left. Not sure about the fuel selectors in a Piper though..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

In a geman aircraft if the seat for the PIC is not specified in the POH it is automatically the LHS where the PIC has to be. I do not know if it’s the same abroad though.

Germany has no moral right to impose a restriction on the operation of a private aircraft which goes beyond what is in its Type Certificate.

Legally, Germany can do what it likes, as can any sovereign country which always totally controls its airspace (ICAO allows that, otherwise nobody would have signed up to it).

Maybe EASA OPS will change this. Bookworm might know…

Plus it is ludicrous to have such a restriction when

• the instructor sits in the RHS, and
  • the instructor is always PIC even when the LHS holds all papers required for the actual flight (in a G-reg, anyway)

It would imply that all training is illegal and dangerous but somehow that’s OK if the LHS is occupied – even if it is occupied by a student who has never seen a plane before that day.

An exception might be when the plane has e.g. no brakes on the RHS! But then training in such types is always going to be, ahem, interesting…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message