Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly-in to Calais March 24th

Question: where do we exactly meet and at what time? I assume at the airport restaurant? But ... for lunch could be at noon (CET) or even later. Would be nice if we could set a meeting time and place.

EDLE, Netherlands

I suggested 1200 but that is apparently a bit early so let's say 1230-1300 in the restaurant. I will be there at about 0900 bit will be taking kids to town first.

EGTK Oxford

What about "bad" weather on Sunday? I haven't studied it carefully yet and it is still a few days away, but there might be some light snow that day and heavy winds. I was there a few weeks ago in the snow, so don't mind too much, but will the show go on?

See Calais 2 weeks ago snow covered: picture 1 and picture 2.

EDLE, Netherlands

It's too early to tell for sure but looking at the MSLP (example) Sunday 24th may be flyable VFR but I think it's likely to be a bit like today i.e. ~2000ft cloudbase and drizzle.

Monday looks a lot nicer

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well I will be going regardless of weather - or should I say assuming the weather is flyable IFR. Assume it will be smaller in that case but those of us who can go still should.

EGTK Oxford

I will be flying to Calais as well.

EDLE, Netherlands

Local media mention 4-5 beaufort, and elsewhere "gusting to 50 km/h" (25-30 kts) which is above specs both for my craft and its pilot. Plus a good chance of some snow falling, which usually comes from low clouds. If the forecast does not change significantly, I guess I'll come driving.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Sadly I won't be there because I will be helping with another TB20 owner's Annual.

The wx doesn't look too great.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I've chickened out - sorry. I was looking forward to this kicking off a good season. Perhaps we could do some more impromptu lunches.

Norman
United Kingdom

I will make a check Saturday night and see if the forecast is truly too bad (for me). Obviously everyone needs to be safe and make their own decisions.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message