Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ISA-14 today

Not often one sees this

This was a post-maintenance test flight (the second one; first one was low level) over Norfolk.

After about 10 mins, London Control phoned up Wattisham (radar service) and told them to get me down to FL190

The aircraft went pretty well. This is best-power, 145 TAS at 10.5 USG/hr, pitch angle only 2.5 degrees. Max RPM of course.

A fun GS in the descent

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A long way from Shoreham, that is my ‘test’-area as well. I usually fly on radial 090 from HON VOR.
How is your heating coping with all the cold air?

United Kingdom

OK in the sunshine but at night it would have been very cold with -38C outside… probably below 0 in the cockpit.

Yes, it’s a 3hr flight to do this.

Administrator

How is your heating coping with all the cold air?

Probably better than my DA42 I had much better heating in my beloved TB20.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Probably better than my DA42 I had much better heating in my beloved TB20.

Damn efficient diesel engines! The small BMWs have extra heaters when the engine heat is not enough. And in my electric i3 it’s outright depressing to drive at sub zero temperatures and have a cabin temperature of 23°C.

Probably better than my DA42

How does the DA42 heat the cabin? Most twins have the Janitrol type fuel heater.

Administrator

If you think the DA42 has a bad heater; try the DA40 :-(
Last time I was winter flying on oxygen levels my breath iced on the inside of the canopy…

With the diesel engine you won’t notice a lot of difference in performance, whether it’s ISA+15 or ISA-15…

How does the DA42 heat the cabin? Most twins have the Janitrol type fuel heater.

One engines heats windshield, second the cabin, through heat exchangers and air ducts. Sometimes they are poorly isolated what lowers the anyhow not too high efficiency…

EP..

Definitely not with that torch

Right engine heats the cabin and left one is windshield de-frost. However there’s unwanted flow from overhead switches and reading lights which I can’t explain. It can be easily solved but obviously some engineering is missing at Diamond.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

On the TB20 there is an air mixing arrangement which, if not fully closing, makes the heater much less effective.

It is in a really obvious and accessible place on the engine side of the firewall

Before I knew this, and when I was G-reg and thus maintained by a company, I used to freeze to death in an OAT of -5C.

There is a cold airflow coming through between the KLN94 and the KMD550 but it’s not too bad…

I have been in solid IMC at about -20C (FL190 or so in the summer, typically) and it was still fine, but I have never tried this at night Not sure I would, on the basis of simple risk management…

Administrator
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message