Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Five types you are missing in your logbook

I think my list with be:

• Consolidated PBY Catalina – in my eyes the most beautifully designed aircraft I’ve seen
  • Grumman F14 Tomcat – just to say ‘I feel the need…’ (OK, I’ll get my coat)
  • Fokker E1 – just to experience what real flying was in the early days of aerial warfare
  • Lockheed SR71 – if only to replicate the LA Speed Check story
  • Grumman F6F Hellcat – and then attempt carrier landings with it…..
Last Edited by Steve6443 at 20 Oct 06:21
EDL*, Germany

Consolidated PBY Catalina – in my eyes the most beautifully designed aircraft I’ve seen

http://thisisflight.net/2020/10/17/catalina-rescued-from-loch-ness-after-engine-troubles

Apparently the UK PBY Catalina sheared the starter on Loch Ness and there is a crowdfunding effort to rescue the aircraft

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Apparently the UK PBY Catalina sheared the starter on Loch Ness and there is a crowdfunding effort to rescue the aircraft

What an incredibly bizarre story. Well two weeks up there in the open and it will be a complete rebuild. They can take it out on the back of a lorry.

What I find hard to understand if you are operating a Catalina you would imagine there may be a spare couple of grand in the bank as an emergency fund. Also parts? Again I would have assumed that a shelf with some vital parts may be at hand. It is based at Duxford after all.

As for the boat crashing into it and breaking one of the windows and it all begins to resemble Comedy Half Hour with Benny Hill…Deary me

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Link from PP****.
In any wind a flyingboat will likely drift more than most boats, which might make approaching difficult for anyone unfamiliar.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 21 Oct 20:57
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Thank you Maoraigh for the link. As ever the facts presented in a nice calm manner which puts s differing slant on the story. Replacement engine. Mmm. Not that easy when miles from home and stuck in the UK’s deepest loch.

I sincerely hope they do ok with the plan. It can be a very inhospitable place in winter so the sooner they get it out, fixed, and back to the hanger the better.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

As a kid I had a list of dream types, but other than a Spitfire and maybe a Catalina I can’t remember any. I’m not very ambitious:

Open cockpit biplane
I’d like to fly a Bréguet 14, in which the Aéropostale pilots (Saint Exupéry, Mermoz, Guillaumet…) would take the new ‘air’ mail across the Sahara or the Cordillera. A recent article had a description of the flying qualities along the lines of, “image a broomstick handle set in a bucket of cement then buried in the ground”. Maybe also a Sopwith Camel, because of my early self-brainwashing with Biggles. I’d settle for a Stampe/Tiger Moth/Jungmann/Stearman.

A super-STOL type
Back country flying in any of the Cub copies, twin Cub, Helio Courier, Fieseler Storch, DH Beaver, etc

A twin
Any twin. Never been in one. Plus a Cri-Cri.

A turboprop/small jet
Not really for the flight, but to see how charter/bizjet operations work.

A near-impossible one
Only for those with very deep pockets e.g. Caudron C.561, Bugatti 100

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

A near-impossible one. Only for those with very deep pockets e.g. Caudron C.561, Bugatti 100

You just have to build your own or several of them. Bill Turner built these after retirement.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Oct 14:27

Catalina update: now lifted out of the water. Work being done at pier in Urquhart Bay, Loch Ness.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Ultranomad wrote:

IL-76

I’ve flown in the back of one, without a seatbelt! Unfortunately not loggable of course.

For me, mostly achievable and a couple of not so achievable…

MiG 21
Cri-Cri
RV 4 or 8
LongEZ
Dassault Falcon 10

Last Edited by NinerEchoPapa at 26 Oct 17:43
EDLN/EDLF, Germany

NinerEchoPapa wrote:

MiG 21

Sat in a MiG 21…. about the closest I got…..

EDL*, Germany
Sign in to add your message