Beaver on floats
Douglas DC-3
Lockheed Tristar
VC-10
Vulcan

The first two are probably possible but I doubt I’ll ever get to fly the others

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

Ultranomad wrote:

No, even at takeoff power it’s only about 280 In level flight at MTOW (5250 kg), cruising speed is 95 kts and fuel consumption is about 155 lph. At 4000 kg, it’s 80 kts and 120 lph. One can also slow down to ~70 kts at ~100 lph.

Well, as I said, it’s a long time. 1993. For para drop flights that is what I remembered being told and about 150 in cruise, we are not that far apart. Ours had 5.5 t MTOW (Agro and Paradump versions, not sure about the passenger version. The AN2 M (Single Pilot) was yet different but I only flew that one once). Be aware, there are different subtypes of engines, even if you have to look carefully. Ours were running on Russian Oil for starters and for export needed a massive change. I remember a Hungarian AN2 which came to grief because they filled the wrong oil. I’d also wagger the exemplars now in circulation in Western Europe are maintained to a very high standard, while what I used to fly was maintained to what they could afford. That could explain the subtle differences.

Yes, in Cruise you can vary a lot, but i don’t think you win much by flying that slow, would have to calculate out the range. Most I ever did was close to 5.5 hours, I think we landed with about 200 liters remaining. With Paradrop flights we would need fuel once a day. Thinking about that, it’s a wonder how this radial coped with that kind of abuse of up to 10-15 cycles a day.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Maoraigh wrote:

Catalina update

There’s a documentary in Gaelic on BBC Alba (with English subtitles)

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Sopwith Camel
DeHavilland Mosquito
Hawker Siddeley / British Aerospace Harrier
Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk
Learjet 45

EGLM & EGTN
64 Posts
Sign in to add your message