Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Maintaining currency...in general

Wheel landing is “essential”. At least if reading the POH of some aircraft It’s the technique for landing the Pawnee in a cross wind. It’s also used for “testing” the runway if it’s unknown. I have never tried that upwind wheel for the entire runway, have to put in on my list. What I do sometimes is to rock the wings back and forth.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

It’s the technique for landing the Pawnee in a cross wind.

It is? I’ve done a fair amount of Pawnee landings as a glider tow pilot and never did wheel landings…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I believe some types have to be landed as a wheel landing, for example the Globe Swift. If there is reasonable rudder authority, tail-low wheel landings may be close to the universal technique, it protects the tail wheel and ensures the ‘planting on’ theory/practice of wheel landings is avoided. I have no multi engine tail wheel time, but Beech 18 pilots may use this technique?

Thousands of posts exist in debating wheel vs three point in the Pitts type. It would be fair to suggest the vast majority of Pitts pilots stick to three point, but unloading on touchdown. The short fuselage and strong tail spring, sets up an exciting porpoising if full back stick is applied in a three point. Fortunately the tail spring should fail before you nose over.

In short each type has its preferred technique, while some types are quite tolerant of both techniques.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

…and ensures the ‘planting on’ theory/practice of wheel landings is avoided.

Is this practice universally discredited?

EGLM & EGTN
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message