Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

N reg rental around Munich

Hello all,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I value all the information shared here about flying in Europe and it seems like a great group.

I am itching to go flying now that the weather is getting better by the day!

Quickly about me: moved to Munich recently by way of China and the US. I work for one of the major OEMs (who shall remain nameless until you come find me at AERO Friedrichshafen :) ). I was not able to fly in China so I am itching to do so here in Europe. All my licenses are FAA and 99% of my flying has been in the US.

The easiest path seems to be to find an N reg somewhere around here to be able to rent. I’ve been to Augsburg and Jesenwang International Airport (with its 400m long runway) and found nothing there. I will try to visit Landshut in the near future as well. I’m reaching out to tap the wisdom of the forum to see if anyone has any suggestions or ideas of any flying clubs/schools in the area who may have an N-reg. Failing that, I imagine I could look at some sort of lease arrangement with an owner.

I’m open to ideas!

Sort of a side question — does anyone have any personal experience with any of these schools below? I figure it would be a good idea to go up with a local to learn the VFR and IFR rules applicable to Germany and Europe…

1. MFA Augsburg
2. Rent a Star Augsburg
3. Flugschule Jesenwang
4. Haeusl Air Landshut
5. Fliegerverein Munchen

Thanks in advance!

HighFly
EDDM

HighFly,

contact me by PM. I live in downtown Munich and fly from EDML, Landshut. I have a friend (LH Captain) who has a nice 172 that’s N-reg, and he might rent it to you (but i don’t know until i talked to him). Haeusl’AIR does not have an N-reg!

I am a CRI, so I cannot give you any real instruction to convert your licence, but of course I can teach you the VFR/IFR rules in my area.

is that Carlos? Give him my best regards

Last Edited by nobbi at 07 Apr 15:18
EDxx, Germany

Welcome

even if you fly only N-regs, you will now need an EASA license in addition to your FAA license to do that 100% legally. We (Germany) might receive one more year of time to comply shortly, but nobody knows. Even if Germany did give one more year time, it all has now become a legal mess. Many countries have never implemented any derogations from that dual license regulation and nobody has ever clarified if it’s the country you are flying in or your licensing authority which is the determining factor there.

That’s the current situation unfortunately.

That said, N-reg. rentals have become rather rare. The Frankfurt area has several, but that won’t help you.

I used to work for MFA as an instructor many years ago. More info via PM.

I very occasionally rent from Rent a star and they are nice people.

Fliegerverein München is famous for having crashed 6 aircraft in the last 5 years or so…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Apr 15:23
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Welcome to Europe! I know what you are going through although I had the advantage of having a European-issued license and an FAA license obtained through the 61.75 route.

Unfortunately I do not know the situation in Germany, but generally speaking I believe it is difficult to find a N-ref in a flying club in Europe. There may be some commercial operators that let N-reg aircraft. Otherwise you best bet is probably renting from an owner or buy a share of an N-reg.

My first choice for familiarizing myself with flying in Europe would not be a flight school. What you need is a friend

Is your BFR current? Otherwise, or if it will soon expire, you will want to find an FAA instructor nearby. He will also be able to familiarise you with the ropes of the European airspace while focusing on the differences with the US system.

LFPT, LFPN

Unless HighFly is a German national, I think he has a strong case for a “non European based operator”.

Also the time we still have until the anti-N-reg-provision comes into effect should be enough to complete the now rather easy license conversion.

Last Edited by achimha at 07 Apr 15:30

nobbi,
yes Carlos. He is my IFR Checker since 2002 … He has a nice N-reg 172

bosco nailed the situation for European residents pretty much on the head. The question is whether the OP is a European resident or will become one in the near future. And that of course brings us back to the good ol’ discussion about the definition of resident.

LFPT, LFPN

Unless HighFly is a German national, I think he has a strong case for a “non European based operator”.

Since he had he moved here, I assume he will be a resident. I am pretty sure the nationality does not play a role.

As regards converting an FAA PPL to an EASA PPL (or receiving a validation), I have to admit that I am not up to date any more, but I’m quite sure it’s not totally trivial.

What a mess!

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Apr 15:59
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I guess I’ve opened a can of worms with my first post re. the “resident” issue…bureaucracy at its finest! How on earth can EASA have jurisdiction over what licenses a (let’s say US) citizen holds while flying an N-reg aircraft in Europe? Is residency defined by tax residency? Length of time in country? Is this even enforceable if you are constantly enter and exit the EU?

contact me by PM. I live in downtown Munich and fly from EDML, Landshut. I have a friend (LH Captain) who has a nice 172 that’s N-reg, and he might rent it to you (but i don’t know until i talked to him). Haeusl’AIR does not have an N-reg!

I am a CRI, so I cannot give you any real instruction to convert your licence, but of course I can teach you the VFR/IFR rules in my area.

Thank you for the offer! I would be happy to buy lunch/coffee sometime and have a chat. I know of “Carlos” but have not met him. Nearly everyone I meet seems to know him…somehow…

I used to work for MFA as an instructor many years ago. More info via PM.

I very occasionally rent from Rent a star and they are nice people.

Fliegerverein München is famous for having crashed 6 aircraft in the last 5 years or so…

I like information that helps narrow the list. I’ve enjoyed reading your trip reports – thanks for sharing those experiences.

What you need is a friend

Is your BFR current? Otherwise, or if it will soon expire, you will want to find an FAA instructor nearby. He will also be able to familiarise you with the ropes of the European airspace while focusing on the differences with the US system.

Vous avez raison! Friends are wonderful. My BFR is current. I am also a Flight Instructor so I try to keep that and everything else current.

Since he had he moved here, I assume he will be a resident. I am pretty sure the nationality does not play a role.

You are correct that I moved to Germany, however, I do not know how that affects the definition of my “residency” in Germany/EU. I guess the new rule is just too ambiguous…which leaves room for interpretation…which leaves room to assume things since there is no contravening precedent established in any court…which is never good.

HighFly
EDDM
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message