Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Changes to EASA flightcrew licensing

Jan Brill, chief editor of Pilot&Flugzeug, has published an English version of a recent article in which he illustrates the planned changes to Part-FCL. He is really one of very few persons in Europe who really understands this stuff and takes the time to plunge through all these opinions, NPAs, AMCs, etc.

Worth a read for anyone who can stand this sort of stuff. Even though, to be honest, much of it relates only to instructors and examiners.

See here

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Apr 16:59
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That’s a good writeup. Thanks for posting it.

I wonder if

means an IR can be issued to someone who doesn’t pass the CV test?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

means an IR can be issued to someone who doesn’t pass the CV test?

Yes, as I understand it that is precisely what who it was written for.

EGEO

Yes! I have a friend who just passed the EASA IR initial exam and he has a IR daytime only rating…

This has been possible via the UK CAA but only under the table. I know one man who got it ~ 10 years ago.

They now need to sort out the stupid Class 1 audiogram, for the IR. There is a route around that, also via the UK CAA, but they won’t discuss it openly.

Administrator

IR without night flight has been european law for quite some time now. Wonder how the UK CAA managed to just ignore that.

They now need to sort out the stupid Class 1 audiogram, for the IR.

Serious? It may be nonsense, but at the same time, it’s totally trivial (at least in Germany). I just did it a week ago… you have to be absolutely deaf to fail the test…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Apr 18:48

A lot of people have problems hearing certain frequencies. I think that has absolutely nothing to do with flying an aircraft, the most nonsensical restriction ever invented.

My doctor has his aid do the IR audiogram and last time the woman was so clever to operate the volume levers in my field of view.

You can have one perfect ear and one dead one.

The only time it is a problem is that you can’t pick up girls in high noise level social situations (e.g. the ~110db environment in discos/clubs)

You can get an IR with one dead ear but only if you get into the system as a renewal, not as initial. I have no idea if the CPL/ATPL route in that link is still available.

Administrator

For differences and familiarization training under FCL.710 EASA clarifies, that familiarization training may but does not have to include an instructor. It can be done alone or with another experienced pilot.

This bit is interesting. It doesn’t say anything about difference training, but suggests that familiarisation training can be done solo! Off hand the only think that I can think of which requires familiarisation training is EFIS. So that’s the difference between doing a familiarisation flight alone, and just going without any familiarisation training? A briefing beforehand?

Class- and type ratings can now be revalidated before the three months window.

Great news. It’s a pain waiting for the three month window, when you’re rarely around examiners, even though you’ve already met the criteria.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 14 Apr 19:47
EIWT Weston, Ireland

Dublinpilot,

I think you are mixing something up there between differences training and familiarisation.

However, the real problem is that the “clarification” made by EASA

For differences and familiarization training under FCL.710 EASA clarifies, that familiarization training may but does not have to include an instructor. It can be done alone or with another experienced pilot.

somehow subtly implies that familiarisation requires flying.

It does not (again, strictly legally speaking). But what EASA wrote there creates confusion.

24 Posts
Sign in to add your message