Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

German / Swiss noise-dependent landing charges / noise certificate (merged thread)

The ICAO noise test procedures (in ICAO Annex 16 vol 1) have changed over time, which may have something to do with it. Aircraft that were first type certified before 1988 were tested to chapter 6 and later aircraft to chapter 10. The chapter 6 test involved flying at max cruise power, level flight at a height of 300m above the noise meter. The later test simulates a take off scenario with the sensor on the extended centre-line and the aircraft climbing out at Vy. This later test also provides for various corrections to the result depending on different factors.

Top Farm, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom

Flew to Switzerland last month. I wasnt asked for a noise certificate, should I have offered one, and if so would I have got a better deal landing fee?
The only thing they really asked was if my partner was a pilot, if so, we would not have been charged a pax fee (10Euro)

Regards, SD..

Some Swiss airfields do differentiate, others don‘t.

In Germany, the vast majority do. (Only some of the very small ones don‘t).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Mar 15:31
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Some Swiss airfields do differentiate, others don‘t. In Germany, the vast majority do. (Only some of the very small ones don‘t).

So with a foreign reg aeroplane, is it worth being pre-emptive and presenting a noise cert in Switzerland/Germany, or wait to be asked?

Regards, SD..

If you have one, you can ask them if they want to see it or you can leave it at that.

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

This has come up before… does Friedrichshafen EDNY want to see a noise certificate?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Usually yes, but not during the Aero, since they have flat fees for the event, irrespective of noise class. Probably because they don’t want to lose time messing around with these things during the show.

Generally speaking, if you do have a (proper) noise certificate, then yes, you should show it by your own initiative. The reason is that some Flugleiters/admin staff are lazy, and particularly when they see that a foreigner is coming up to pay, they will not by their initiative ask for the certificate, and simply charge you the very worst (highest) noise category, thinking that the foreign pilot doesn’t know all these details anyway. Again, not always, but it happened to me several times.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Mar 18:17
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A friend of mine had a long discussion about noise certificates at an airport in south Germany. Since he was flying with a Swiss registered airplane he didn’t have the German noise certificate however he had one from Switzerland. As discussed before they calculate if you are in the “erhoehter Laermschutz” category from LLV
and they had a neat Excel sheet to do so which he could get a hold of (The Excel sheet was created by the noise abatement officer of the district government of Duesseldorf). I successfully used this Excel sheet in the past to claim “erhoehter Laermschutz” at airports in Germany.

local copy of Excel file

Switzerland

This is the noise certificate listing referred to by @Maoraigh earlier:

T6_LaermLst4Noise_pdf

(a PDF can now be dropped into the forum, same as images have been able to)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
119 Posts
Sign in to add your message