Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Taxi instructions from tower during short final

How much does it cost nowadays at Munich EDDM? I vaguely recall €500 for 1400kg.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They have an online calculator on their website and for the SR22 it turned out to be just 122€. The taxi from EDMA to Munich was 210€ both ways. The train ride from EDDM to the city takes the same 45 minutes as the drive by car from EDMA to the city. Munich is awful to reach… I definitely am trying to avoid it.

Frequent travels around Europe

They have an online calculator on their website and for the SR22 it turned out to be just 122€.

Usually these calculators perform the “tip of the iceberg” calculation. On top of that you get 10 pages of other creative fees.

Munich is awful to reach… I definitely am trying to avoid it.

Munich is self-sufficient — “mir san mir”. They don’t need you (nor me or anybody else that isn’t from there).

It is a factor and precisely for that reason, a holding pattern includes two zero bank legs. Mechanical gyros have mechanical erection mechanisms and they work by feeding a “we’re level most of time” bias. If you circle for an extended time, your gyro will indicate level. I’m sure you know all that …

… actually I have heard about it, but in practical terms could never confirm. In 26 years of IFR flying (and instructing IFR for more than 10) I have circled a lot in IMC. The usual airwork includes “steep” (=45 degree banked) turns for example. If not satisfied with the first one, the student would do another one and a third one and even more. Never have we lost control of an aeroplane during this exercise…

EDDS - Stuttgart

Munich is self-sufficient — “mir san mir”. They don’t need you (nor me or anybody else that isn’t from there).

You cannot or should not blame a whole city for some stupid decisions made by some local politicians. And if you try to simulate Bavarian language, it’s “Mia san mia” :-)

Two things to bear in mind if cleared for a visual approach:

You are now responsible for your own separation from traffic on final ahead of you. That may include wake turbulence

Unless instructed otherwise, you may descend as you see fit. Most countries AIPs and individual airfield entries will say you may not descend below the glideslope/PAPIs on a visual. Some airports also have noise restrictions on the distance you can join the FAT.

In your position, I would ask for a visual left base, and position for a 2-3 mile final. Remember, you still have the GS and DME to help you out with your lateral and vertical positioning.

London area

You are now responsible for your own separation from traffic on final ahead of you. That may include wake turbulence

No, at least not in France. When you are on visual approach, you are considered as an IFR and you still receive ATS services according to the airspace class you are flying in.
However there is one exception : There is another traffic ahead of you, performing a visual approach, and you are in sight of this traffic. In that case, ATC ask you to follow him, maintain your own separation and issue a wake turbulence advisory (if applicable).

I had a discussion with a controller from Munich Radar. They expressed the view that a visual approach is not possible w/o cancelling IFR. It was an airspace F airfield at that time. Might be different from a proper tower controlled airport.

United Kingdom

They expressed the view that a visual approach is not possible w/o cancelling IFR.

That’s correct in principle. The other one, where you follow the traffic in front maintaining your own visual separation is called “VMC” approach. But few controllers bother to distinguish between the two.

EDDS - Stuttgart

You can fly IFR in VMC, most IFR flying is done in VMC.
IFR/VFR is a set of rules and IMC/VMC is weather conditions.
I need VMC for a visual approach, but it still can be an IFR flight.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message