Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

HPA course

Unfortunately I missed the chance 3 years ago to do the then easy HPA (high performance aircraft) course. Now they have moved a lot of stuff from the IR to the HPA which means it has become a substantial effort…

Does anyone know of a good way to get the EASA HPA certificate with a distance learning course? No way I’m going to do any classroom stuff again in this life. The German courses are all classroom teaching from what I gathered.

There is a Helvetica in Zurich who offer the HPA with distance learning for 2800 CHF. Any other options? Could there be any issues with the German LBA not accepting HPA certificates from another country?

Hi Achim,

I see CATS Aviation in the UK offer the HPA qualification – no idea about the price, or if it’s in-house or distance. I’ve been really happy with their CPL theory course (distance).

Why don’t you contact them – Simon – and ask? info AT catsaviation DOT com

Bordeaux

The German courses are all classroom teaching from what I gathered.

No! CAT does an EASA HPA distrance learning course (https://www.cat-europe.com/files/CAT%20Info%20-%20Fernlehrgang%20HPA.pdf). Our FTO has been working with CAT for many years (as well as our local competitor from which you got your IR).

EDDS - Stuttgart

I did mine with CAT Europe (info at cat-europe.com) and it was painless (distance, well presented course, fair price)

EGTF, LFTF

I have tried to find the definition HPA in EASA terms. Can anyone of you explain or give me a source?
I am talking “High Performance Aircraft”.

ESSZ, Sweden

I don’t know if there is a rule, but you can check what is HPA using this list .

High performance aircraft are those that require part of ATPL knowledge to operate. This knowledge is not included in PPL. One needs to learn about pressurization, turbines, oxygen equipment, etc.

LPFR, Poland

Thanks! The reason I am asking is since there are some restrictions on these aircraft when it comes to the proposal on BTO(Basic Training Organisation).

ESSZ, Sweden

List moved here

LPFR, Poland

A couple of other angles:

• a pass in any ICAO ATPL written exam(s) gives you HPA privileges (the FAA ATP exam used to be a great route but no more)
  • the CB IR exams do not carry any credit towards HPA; if you want credit(s) you need to do the old JAA/EASA IR 7-exam set (which I heard is still available)

3 years later, every URL in this thread is dead, which shows why people should drop the PDFs into the forum directly

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

loco wrote:

High performance aircraft are those that require part of ATPL knowledge to operate. This knowledge is not included in PPL. One needs to learn about pressurization, turbines, oxygen equipment, etc.

I don’t think so… I took the “old” (pre CB-IR) IR TK exams which include the HPA stuff and there was nothing on pressurisation or turbines. There was some mention of oxygen in the Human Performance part, of course.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message