Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

HPA course

AIUI, the pre-CBIR course (the old JAA/EASA IR) does not include all of HPA theory. You get only some form of credit. I know no more, except that I know of people who did the CBIR flying course but sat the old JAA/EASA exams, just to get these credits towards HPA (probably to fly a PA46T or TBM).

The way the credits have been rigged set up, only the ATPL theory includes all the credits for HPA.

This stuff has all the footprints of the establishment purists all over it But then you could say that for anything with “I” closely followed by “R” in it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I did the HPA exam and course a few years ago, with CATS. It was straightforward, a couple of days in the classroom. The exam was nothing frightening.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

With reference to EASA FCL, is HPA needed for a PA46, PA46T or just the T?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

See column 6

HPA needed for the PA46 pertaining to the SET class rating.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Airborne_Again wrote:

I don’t think so… I took the “old” (pre CB-IR) IR TK exams which include the HPA stuff and there was nothing on pressurisation or turbines. There was some mention of oxygen in the Human Performance part, of course.

I did HPA course in 2016 and don’t recall the details. Unable to find the HPA syllabus online to verify. Maybe some instructor has access?
I think I based my post on this page Sorry if it’s wrong.

Edit: I did the traditional IR as well. Had to follow it with HPA. Are you sure HPA was included in your IR? Are you rated on any HPA aircraft?

Quote:

The HPA syllabus contains parts of 6 ATPL subjects:

AIRFRAME AND SYSTEMS, ELECTRICS, POWERPLANT
Alternating current – general
Generators AC power distribution
Pressurisation (Air driven systems – piston engines)
Pressurisation (Air driven systems – turbojet and turbopropellor
Engine performance – piston engines
Power augmentation (turbo/supercharging)
Fuel Mixture
Turbine engines
Aircraft oxygen equipment

PERFORMANCE CLASS B – ME AEROPLANES
Performance of multi-engine aeroplanes not certificated under JAR/FAR 25 – Entire subject

HUMAN PERFORMANCE
Basic human physiology
High altitude environment

METEOROLOGY –WINDS AND FLIGHT HAZARDS
Jetstreams
CAT
Standing waves
Flight hazards
Icing and turbulence
Thunderstorms

BASIC RADAR PRINCIPLES
Basic radar principles
Airborne radar
SSR

PRINCIPLES OF FLIGHT – AEROPLANES
Transonic aerodynamics – Entire subject
Mach number/shockwaves
buffet margin/aerodynamic ceiling
Last Edited by loco at 29 Aug 09:22
LPFR, Poland

loco wrote:

I did HPA course in 2016 and don’t recall the details. Unable to find the HPA syllabus online to verify. Maybe some instructor has access?
I think I based my post on this page Sorry if it’s wrong.

Interesting… Of these things only Human Performance, Meteorology and Radar were included in my pre-CB IR TK. And yet that’s supposed to be enough for HPA? Or would I still need to take a VFR HPA course? That would make some kind of sense.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I think the CAA will ask for HPA paper if you try to get rated on an HPA aircraft. I am no expert in regulations. Basing it on my own experience, where I had to produce HPA to get the class rating in my license.

LPFR, Poland

HPA is a separate 6 module course to which you need to add one more module if you have done the CB-IR theory (as I wrote above). If you have done the IR theory, you only do the 6 modules. At CAT Europe, the price difference is around 100 €, cf. https://www.cat-europe.com/en/portfolio-items/hpa-course/

My HPA is courtesy of the FAA 61.31(f)(g) endorsement and ATP. I also hold EASA CPL/IR, but not sure if the privileges read across. Have only used them on Part 91.

The Malibu has a service ceiling of 25,000 feet, so does not require the high altitude portion, but I expect differences training would sensibly cover de compression drills.

The FAA is keen on an understanding of human performance, oxygen rules, including quick donning masks, pressurisation systems. Check rides include de compression and emergency descent drills.

There is also the principles of flight aspects of high altitude, arguably mainly relevant for swept wing jets.

Would a EASA HPA include high altitude (above FL250) privileges?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Would a EASA HPA include high altitude (above FL250) privileges?

Yes, for the Jetprop (ceiling FL270) I did the HPA with CAT in 2014, online course, and it was necessary for the Class Rating.

Sign in to add your message