Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aviation's most beautiful view

I repectfully offer these views, taken in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia this morning.

David

Last Edited by Aveling at 19 May 02:09
EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Great pics David. Whereabouts was this? the Blue Ridge is one of the places I’d like to visit a bit more in depth. I only have been to the northern part in Pennsylvania.

Here’s a few of my recent ones.

View to the mountains in Southern Germany (Allgaeu Region)

Same region, same day.

Climbing above the mist over Lake Geneva

The big four in the Bernese Alps: Finsteraarhorn, Eiger, Moench, Jungfrau

Churfisten in the clouds…

Saentis peak, Alpstein range in Eastern Switzerland

Maybe that explains why we still fly in Switzerland :)

Approaching my homebase.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Amazing pics!

How do you people recognise the mountain names? Is it from knowing what they look like, or knowing where you are (the name will be on the VFR chart) or both?

I have flown over the Alps many times and often one gets the feeling that some mountain “must be famous” but looking at the chart it’s often hard to tell which one is which from several near each other.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

After a while you reckognize them by sight, much like you reckognize other things or people. Most of them have quite distinctive forms and of course you are supposed to know where you are anyway at any given time.

Here’s another one from the Alps:

Aletschglacier, one of the most spectacular sights.

And of course this one. Classical example of a mountain which is well defined by its form. Also was the model for the Toblerone :)

It did help that I did some training with a former Military pilot. They know every tiny place.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 19 May 08:00
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Peter

one way to do it is to get openstreetmap on a tablet:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/31664302#map=14/46.5663/8.0053
It does show the peaks (amongst other things)

A couple from me too – Courchevel – Lac de Nantua (Nantua Lake) and one arriving at the home base LFHN… (before anyone asks my wife took the pictures and also “enhances” them)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

And for full transparency – the Courchevel one I found on my computer but can’t remember where I got it – I’m not qualified to land there but have been there on many occasions with other pilots – don’t know where this one is from though.

Crater Lake, Oregon. Complete with wing strut, just so you know it was taken from a GA ship.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Here are a few winter flying photos from Canada.
The first one is Garibaldi Mountain, near Squamish BC.

Here were some interesting features on the Glacier.

A nice later afternoon tour of the Greater Vancouver Region; showing Simon Fraser University on the top of the hill.

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

First one is from Annecy (Lake + town) the rest from a night flight around NY mid last year

34 Posts
Sign in to add your message