Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

HF operation on long-distance trips

Sat phone not acceptable for so e of the ATC areas I'm flying through.

Yep - the regulations don't keep up with reality. You can adjust the IC706 "by use of external switching device" BTW (the control is external and mount on the panel). Used by thousands of ferry pilots and so far as I can tell nil convictions.

Yes I'm serious - and now thanks to this forum understand how MWARA is organised (http://www.hfunderground.com/wiki/MWARA)

Yeah baby!
EGTB

Sat phone not acceptable for so e of the ATC areas I'm flying through.

Yes, but would have to agree with Peter....as a life saving device...far more useful (in addition to th HF)...Or even just reliable comms in the areas you are planning on transiting...also as used by ferry pilots for years!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Yeah might take a Sat Phone... There's also 123.45MHz most of the time for relays, right?

Yeah baby!
EGTB

BTW found a very useful resource library here:

Yeah baby!
EGTB

Over the Atlantic, ATC couldn't accept email pos reports (from MLX-770) but would accept satphone. I was at FL250 so HF wasn't mandatory but VHF was spotty between Canada and Greenland.

EGTK Oxford

Interesting - but I'm not going over the Atlantic :-)

Yeah baby!
EGTB

What regions on your route require HF, Andy?

Presumably, to Australia, you will be going down to Crete or Rhodos, and then down via Saudi / India / etc?

A friend has twice done UK - Thailand (in a Jetprop) and that was his route, and he doesn't have HF.

Speaking of HF ("shortwave") I have just googled on OK1OFA and it appears to still exist, 44 years later

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Incidentally I'm soon fitting an HF radio in a DA42, although I'm not quite at the implementation stage yet.

@Hodja: Off topic but can you write something about your experiance with DA42 in separate thread?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Sure - I just need to pick it up from the factory first, in a couple of months...

Peter: yes roughly that route. A friend of mine has done it 3x (twice in PBY Catalina's and once in a Cessna Caravan from US to Australia via Europe, Middle East, Sub Continent, Sth East Asia, Indonesian archipelago and outback Australia) and he has strongly recommended I take HF, so going with that...

Yeah baby!
EGTB
Sign in to add your message