Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

OEI landing DA42

Depends on whether you can prove who made the mistake. Usually you cannot prove this i.e. it could have been made at almost any time in the past.

Many thanks Emir for writing that up! I am sure many will find it very interesting and useful.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Decades of single engine flying without engine failure and now a few months into a twin and an engine failure…

I guess the twin engine follows the theory of Anton Chekhov

The Theilert & Austros might be considered “reliable” but any liquid cooled engine has one more (compared to air cooled) rather complex system that can lead to an engine failure.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Emir, thanks for the summary. In particular since I am on a DA42 (with AE, but anyway) I am highly interested in your experience. You managed this critical event perfectly!

Textbook handling, Emir, fantastic job. Although I really wished you’d been spared this unfortunate episode.

The Theilert & Austros might be considered “reliable” but any liquid cooled engine has one more (compared to air cooled) rather complex system that can lead to an engine failure.

Putting a “positive” spin on this serious event, I did note that Emir was airborne for 60 mins before the leak warning concluded with an engine shutdown. Perhaps even severe cooling leaks develop slower into a shutdown than, say, total loss of oil pressure?

I wouldn’t rate liquid cooling as “complex” in this day and age. Especially considering the very tangible benefits such as continuous max power versus continuous max power for one minute before the engine detonates or overheats.

achimha wrote:

Decades of single engine flying without engine failure and now a few months into a twin and an engine failure…

I must admit that it came to my mind immediately when I saw temperature rising and coolant leaking

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Left engine fethered

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

Depends on whether you can prove who made the mistake. Usually you cannot prove this i.e. it could have been made at almost any time in the past.

This is almost impossible for the parts that don’t have serial numbers.

The last change of hoses was done very unprofessional and some hoses were touching hot parts of the engine. When my mechanic made a first service he spent few hours resolving this problem. He took the pictures and I sent them to previous operator but of course it wasn’t their worry and more. Unfortunately he didn’t notice this clamp and in general left engine was in better condition then the right one, so he spent more time on right engine.

Just few examples:

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

That is horrible.

I had a very well known UK EASA 145 + FAA 145 + EASA 21 company do something similar, routing the Shadin fuel totaliser transducer hose (i.e. the fuel hose from the engine driven fuel pump to the fuel servo) right next to the crankcase and behind the exhaust pipes. I found it when doing a 50hr check not too much later and got them to rectify it.

One wonders how much of this is “out there”.

This is almost impossible for the parts that don’t have serial numbers.

That’s why one should visually check maintenance work, before the covers go back on. I realise that would not be very popular with some firms.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message