Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aerial Work

What would I have to do to be legal to carry out aerial work in the UK in a UK-registered certified aircraft? I’m an ATPL holder.

I’ve read the ANO, which defines Aerial Work, and asked my insurance company if they would impose any conditions. Anything else?

Google hasn’t helped, so far…

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

AFAIK AOC for A to A operations is needed.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1428&pagetype=90&pageid=8791

Reading the abive i think If it is anything other than the pilot being paid eg to train in a private owners aircraft, you need an AOC.

Last Edited by JasonC at 11 Jun 04:27
EGTK Oxford

Thanks guys.

Spending too long online

I’m probably being dumb, but I still can’t see where (in JasonC’s link) it says an AOC is required if it’s not public transport or commercial air transport.

How to determine whether or not a flight which is not commercial air transport is public transport
5.1 To determine whether or not a flight which is not commercial air transport is for the purpose of public transport of passengers, the first question is whether or not there are any passengers on board. This is not always entirely straightforward as an occupant may claim to be a member of the crew.
5.2 Having determined that there is at least one passenger on board, the next question is
whether any payment has been given or promised which, if it had not been given or promised would mean that the passengers would not have been carried. If there is any payment which could fall into this category, consider what would have happened if the passenger had presented himself for carriage and announced that such a payment would not now be made. Would the passenger still be carried?
5.3 If passengers are carried but there appears to be no payment for their carriage, consider whether the operator is an AOC holder. If it is, it will be public transport (subject to certain exceptions – see article 260(3)) even if there is no payment.
5.4 Even if no passenger is carried or there is no payment for the carriage of the passenger (and the operator is not an AOC holder) so that it is not a public transport of passengers flight, it may be aerial work if any payment has been made in respect of the flight or for the purpose of the flight.

Spending too long online

It depends on the kind of Aerial Work.

PPL training is AW but doesn’t need an AOC, as one of several examples. AFAIK PPL cost sharing also makes the flight AW but is legal without an AOC via an exemption (the famous Summary of Public Transport flyer from the CAA).

Doing remunerated instruction in a non-G-reg is also AW and the operation needs the DfT (nowadays CAA) permission, article 225. Again, no AOC.

What does need an AOC is charter (A to B), sightseeing flights (even A to A), and I know somebody who had to get an AOC for traffic spotting for a local radio station (10 years ago).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On a commercial flight so had a read of the ANO. It would be an aerial work undertaking but I agree Chris still not entirely clear what that requires. It is not a private flight and unless it comes under one if the exemptions it clearly has implications but it is a very poorly written piece of legislation. I think I will stick to the FARs!

EGTK Oxford

What would I have to do to be legal to carry out aerial work in the UK in a UK-registered certified aircraft? I’m an ATPL holder.

Not much. Is the aircraft an EASA aircraft or Annex II?

sightseeing flights (even A to A) do need AOC? this was in some EU regulation for while but changes few years ago – exempting flight A to A from this. Did they change it back?

LKKU, LKTB

Sightseeing A to A flights are not exempted. There’s a derogation that allows:

(c) introductory flights, parachute dropping, sailplane towing or aerobatic flights performed either by [an ATO] having its principal place of business in a Member State, or by an organisation created with the aim of promoting aerial sport or leisure aviation, on the condition that the aircraft is operated by the organisation on the basis of ownership or dry lease, that the flight does not generate profits distributed outside of the organisation, and that whenever non-members of the organisation are involved, such flights represent only a marginal activity of the organi­sation.’;

20 Posts
Sign in to add your message