Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Operating altitude / service ceiling

Thanks, super nice read, I am sure a 100hp Rotax engine can do a lot of stuff, especially in an RV12 !
I “tested” Rotax 80hp in a Falke up to FL120 2pob but nothing compares to the RV12 guy: 1pob, +20hp, slick RV wings, oxygen, more experience and load of gadgets I also spotted a heavy hardware playing VFR when we were up there (the KC135 north west of RAF Brize Norton)

Here is a Falke with Rotax 80hp (SF25), book ceiling engine on is FL140, height record is FL260 and it was done engine off

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Feb 17:50
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Interesting report. local copy

He was getting 500fpm at 10k which is the same as the TB20, so obviously the ceiling was going to be way higher than the specified 12k.

To achieve 99% blood o2 he must have used a full flow mask and a very high gas flow rate Normal numbers for say the MH O2D2 are around 95%. One passenger, as a joke, reproduced 99% by heavily cheating and having constant flow with the O2D2 wide open

He got 16214ft at -8C which is ISA+9 so that’s not bad. I would have expected 17k-18k, so really close. And he says he could have gone higher; he was still doing +50fpm.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I assume that was a carburettored version on the 912. I wonder how the fuel injected 912is would perform.

Assuming he knows how to lean, there should be no difference.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve never seen a 912 that you can lean. And I bet there will be.

Some have a very sensitive choke valve

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
66 Posts
Sign in to add your message