Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What do you hear in the Bose A20 headset with Bluetooth?

The Zulu can do phone + music over Bluetooth, the Bose can only do phone. Borderline useless I’d say which is why I went for the non Bluetooth version.

achimha wrote:

useless I’d say

I still see it as a good option in some cases, e.g. calling a PPR airport if you need to divert in flight (had that case once) or calling ATC in case of radio failure. It works only to a certain altitude but for the price difference of 100$ (which in comparison with what we pay for other gadgets and services is not that much) I would still get it.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

You believe you can do a phone call in flight? I think you’re overly optimistic, no matter which altitude. Even with a satphone the quality is dismal and good luck finding a satphone that does proper Bluetooth and is actually compatible.

achimha wrote:

You believe you can do a phone call in flight?

At about 4000-5000ft it works in northern Switzerland. I’ve heard from more experienced people it works up to FL80 in Germany but not in Switzerland but haven’t tried myself.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I’ve managed a regular non sat call at FL370 once, although it only lasted about 20 seconds!

With regard to music, as others have said it can’t be done via bluetooth as it doesn’t support A2DP (my understanding). I have listened to music in the past via the 3.5mm jack, and I agree with Peter that it is barely usable with fading out for ATC comms. However it is very usable if you set it to not fade out, and just keep the volume at a suitable level that ATC can be heard over it.

United Kingdom

Going back to the original question: page 34 of the user manual says:

Bluetoothwireless technology Hands-free profile, Bluetooth 2.1

I assume that is the explanation why no music is supported. Unfortunately that probably also means that alerts from navigation apps cannot be heard either unless the app developer has explicitly simulated the hands-free profile to support the headset which is improbable.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Something new about the Bose A20:

“Bluetooth audio and communications interface for connectivity with your communications and navigation devices – NEW in 2015 Streaming Cell Phone and Music!”

I don’t know if it is true and what it means, especially for older headsets. Information is from here.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I do have the Bose A20. Mine can not be used (over bluetooth) for listening to music, but only for making calls. I do use it here and there to make phone calls while still on the ground or flying low, but generally speaking it is not very useful. The music: I connect the iPad to the audio-connector in the Cirrus. Then you can press and hold the MARKER/MUTE button on the Garmin radio and hold it for several seconds. Now you can listen to the music and when ATC comes through it doesn’t push the music away. ATC will not hear your music when you talk to them. So … now I plant the iPad in front and we watch movies :-) on long flights. If only the audio were dolby digital and the subwoofer could be connected.

EDLE, Netherlands

Patents are the root of most problems.

Is that real? What is the patent reference?

There is massive prior art on that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AeroPlus wrote:

Mine can not be used (over bluetooth) for listening to music

The article says it’s the 2015 models. Maybe a firmware update can change older ones but I don’t know if and how that is possible.

I am currently not interested in listening to music in flight (still not doing such long flights) but to be able to hear sounds from apps for navigation, etc. Those however use the same bluetooth profile, so if it supports music it will also support sound from other apps.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message