Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airport for visiting flying legends

Does anyone has been recently in Vatry LOFK ?
The latest eddh.de entry is 2 years old.

Lucas – I live in the area – pretty much the mid-point between Fowlmere, Duxford, and Nuthampstead, and have been based at Cambridge for 25 years. A few thoughts:

- the grass runway at Fowlmere is exceptional, smoother than some hard runways I have landed on. I did some training there in a Mooney M20J (which is very intolerant of rough surfaces). Up until recently, I had my Twin Comanche (also not great on rough surfaces) maintained there, and have done plenty of ferry flights. It is about 750m. As already mentioned, a number of continental European pilots camp there for the weekend. You would need to call Derick Gunning for details and a briefing, especially as the Fowlmere circuit is partly in the Duxford ATZ
- Cambridge airport is unlikely to be so busy as to cause a problem – there will be a few extra visitors, but I don’t recall ever seeing it packed out during one of the Duxford events. Well worth a call to the aeroclub +44 1223 373717 or [email protected] if you are interested. They can help with either hire cars or taxis too. I took a taxi a few weeks ago from Cambridge airport to Duxford, and it cost £19. If you register for the Cambridge Flying Community you will get a discount on the landing fee. No handling provided you arrive during the hours of the Aeroclub. Outside these times there is a small handling fee. The controllers are great and deal happily with a circuit containing a Citation, my twincom, and a Tiger Moth.
- Cambridge city is another matter. There is shortage of hotels and they are generally expensive, full and of mediocre quality. There are various small hotels nearer Duxford, but they tend to get booked a long time in advance.
- North Weald is a good airfield with a long hard runway – in perfectly acceptable condition. It’s very much a “warbird” sort of place and you are much more likely to be lining up behind a Mustang there than at Cambridge. It is a/g radio, not air traffic control. It is also in a mandatory transponder zone.
- you are right about the traffic. Walking from Whittlesford station perfectly doable. Not desperately pleasant as it is along a quite busy dual carriageway, but safe enough and plenty of people do it.

Enjoy your trip to the UK

Alan

Hi Alan, thanks, this would be great to lone up behind a Warbird.

We are also looking forward but also getting nervous slowly for the trip.

Lucas

Just thought I would mention for those outside the UK (or those within if you missed it) and who are thinking of going to Flying Legends this year, that Duxford will permit GA aircraft to fly into any of the airshows there.

• 28-29 May – Duxford American Air Show
• 09-10 July – Flying Legends Air Show
• 10-11 September – Duxford Air Show

There will be a booking system and further details will be posted on the IWM Duxford website in the pilots section.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

Why not fly to Duxford. I was there just last week and they haven’t even started to allow bookings for their flying legend events. Other than last years, on all of their events visiting pilots will be allowed to fly into Duxford. The booking system will be online at the end of the month.

Just now was reading the CKN post which is saying about the same thing.

EDLE, Netherlands

With my regular pilot friends (some here met them at AERO 2018), we want to visit Flying Legends in 2019 by air.
We are more concerned by lack of accomodation than by slot booking.

Are there the ground transport solutions for pilots visiting Flying legends, to reach a hotel/b&b ?

So we expect to reiterate what we did at AERO ie sleep at another field, fly in early and fly back late after the show.
Is that enjoyable ? Is one day enough ?

I thought of Southend EGMC for that stop, because of its on site hotel.
I read that handling at Stobart is available but not mandatory. It is useful ?

LFOU, France

Let me put these questions into a dfferent order..

So we expect to reiterate what we did at AERO ie sleep at another field, fly in early and fly back late after the show.

To be checked if it is allowed to fly in on the day you like to go. To be sure, you will have to study their detailed “flying in” guidance material, which they usually publish during spring.

Are there the ground transport solutions for pilots visiting Flying legends, to reach a hotel/b&b ?

AFAIK, during Flying Legends, there is a daily bus service between Cambridge and Duxford. You should be able to find accomodation there (but don’t expect same cancellations for free!)

I thought of Southend EGMC for that stop, because of its on site hotel.

For driving to Duxford, Southend is too far away. For flying in, that might work.

I read that handling at Stobart is available but not mandatory. It is useful ?

You mean the handling? Well, I haven’t tried it in this case, but no doubt it is not useful. But anyway, it’s not mandatory for under 2.5 tons, so don’t worry.

BTW, one alternative is to camp at Fowlmere airfield (EGMA), which is just two miles away from Duxford.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Jan 21:22
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thank you Bosco.
I emailed duxford but no answer yet.
Good to know about the bus service.
Yes, Southend would be a option for flying in/out.
About handling, sometimes (not often), it just makes things easier. I probably won’t bother but any first/hand experience would be appreciated.
My friends need a bit more comfort than camping :)

LFOU, France

Hi jujupilote, I flew into Southend on the in September. ATC and ground staff were really helpful. I didn’t get handling and there was no problem.
Just a couple of things. If you are not used to a marshal directing you on to a parking spot it might be an idea to brush up on the signals. The very friendly marshal also asked if I needed chocks or would I like him to get me some, he then pointed me where to exit the airfield and reminded me I needed a high viz vest. It couldn’t have been easier. On return I telephoned the number on the desk and paid landing and parking fees, showed my passport to the security lady and went to the plane. All in all very efficient and friendly and I thank Stampe for pointing me in this direction.

France

There,s a little airfield called Fowlmere about 2 miles west of Duxford.
They get a lot of visiting aircraft for Flying Legends.

They run a minibus to duxford.

see their website.

http://newsite17.modair.co.uk/duxford-fly-in-information

Southend, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message