Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Graphical NOTAM sites

This one is back again… I guess the developer was on holiday when it broke

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This site for France came up in another thread today.

It says it is generated from the UK (NATS) notam feed.

I wonder what its purpose it, apart from looking at notams for a very local area i.e. very short local flight i.e. same as the UK site in post #50 above.

Administrator

I’m not sure whether it has already been mentioned, but the AIS-C of Germany offers a graphical NOTAM-briefing page. It’s free, but you have to register with them, which also allows you to file a flightplan through their system.

The NOTAM map looks like this:

As you can see, the map can be toggled to the VFR map or the lower airways chart.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

From here

Peter wrote:

this is a lot of work for the vendor to provide in all of Europe

http://aopa.gr/awg (Provides graphical NOTAMs for all of the world)

Corrrection: Maybe not all of the world, but browse around and you get the idea.

Last Edited by Dimme at 05 Sep 07:47
ESME, ESMS

I had a look but can’t see any notams. Is it in some layer config?

Also looking at the site posted above by @CharlieRomeo I wonder if that shows the polygons or just the enclosing circle? It is easy to display the circle. But AFAIK there is no wholly reliable way to plot the polygons.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I had a look but can’t see any notams. Is it in some layer config?

There is a NOTAM layer subpanel in the layer page. NOTAM polygons (use the experimental algorithm, it’s better – see app info page for more details) are especially useful, among other places, in Greece where the reserved areas, although most of the times predefined, have not been assigned official names, so their coordinates are always in the NOTAM.

The circles are the polygons’ superset.

There is no reliable way to plot the polygons, because data entry etc is non-standard, eg a polygon may not be simple, or there may be another mistake in it. The specific app will, if unable to plot a polygon, find its concave hull.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

I have probably missed something, but my only source of NOTAMs, throughout Europe, is SkyDemon and “it just works”. I have never knowingly missed a NOTAM, and I fly extensively VFR and IFR all over Europe.

What is the added value or purpose of these national sites?

EGKB Biggin Hill

There is no reliable way to plot the polygons, because data entry etc is non-standard, eg a polygon may not be simple, or there may be another mistake in it.

Indeed, yet the polygons (not just the enclosing circle, which is near-useless for a lot of the stuff one really needs to know e.g. prohibited areas of airshows, mil activity, etc i.e. stuff which has a real risk of a prosecution) is what most users of the tablet apps expect

My assertion is that the developers of the tablet apps cannot possibly apply the manual human resources required to make sure these are plotted correctly. I am sure SD and EVFR will process the really bad stuff manually e.g. UK prohibited restricted areas, so the people who fly just locally with these (99%?) get a warm feeling about it

What is the added value or purpose of these national sites?

They are free. Not everybody wants to pay 100 quid a year to get notams, and there are plenty of other GPS related means of navigation. Especially for airport notams which are trivial to disseminate because they are just a block of text.

Administrator

Sorry for the delayed response, was busy the last few days.
I just checked the DFS web interface, and unfortunately it seems to show only the centre points without the polygon structure. I’m sorry, but at least it’s better than nothing at all, or just the plain wall of text.

Last Edited by CharlieRomeo at 09 Sep 09:21
EDXN, ETMN, Germany

This one seems to have been working for quite some time. UK only.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message