Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Possibilities for flying in Hawaii or Alaska

After visiting Hawaii on a holiday trip several years ago and after seeing some TV programs on Alaska, I’ve been thinking of going to fly there for several months. I am interested in an opportunity where I can fly in a commercial or private organization, possibly next to a more experienced captain. I want it to be a kind of practice/internship/junior pilot job so that I don’t have to pay for the flying but I am not looking to earn a lot either – if I can cover the everyday expenses that would be great.

I am not a US citizen and currently have only an EASA license, so a visa and a license revalidation will most probably be required.

Does anyone know if such opportunities exist at all and where I can start looking for information or people to contact? What are the chances of organizing this at all?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Working in the US requires a H1B visa which is next to impossible to get – there are very few of them and they run out one week or two after the yearly allotment is open.

What about apprenticeship or “paid training”? Or even temporary (several months) work? Do all these also require a H1B?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

What about apprenticeship or “paid training”?

= Work

Or even temporary (several months) work?

= Work

Do all these also require a H1B?

Yes

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

What about apprenticeship or “paid training”?
= Work

Training equals work in the US?

How does the US handle seasonal work requirements? For example in Switzerland work is also subject to a work visa/permit and these are also limited in number (except for EU members) but there is a special permit for short time workers to cover the higher requirements e.g. for summer and winter tourism. I’ve heard Alaska is a very good example of that – during the summer period they need a lot of workers of all type while in winter everything goes down to the minimum. Don’t they have a solution for that?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

Don’t they have a solution for that?

Well, when I was growing up in Southern California, we had a name for that, (which I understand has become very UN-PC) , : “wet backs” = illegal seasonal crop workers.

Whilst I am not at all an expert in US Immigration law, I can tell you that it is very difficult and requires time + $$$ to get proper H2-B Visa for short/sesonal work, since in most cases you will need a specialized attorney to expedite things if you’re going to have even half a chance …

Then there is the aviation side: at the very least, you will need a FAA Commercial Licence .

Last Edited by Michael at 22 Jul 07:49
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

All the relevant info on H2-B Vis

H2-B sounds exactly like what I was thinking about. Any ideas if there would be any potential flying organizations that might be willing to go through the process and where to look for them (except in google of course)?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I’m afraid, but unfortunately this is almost impossible to pull off Vladimir. I’ve been dealing with US immigration myself for quite a while now and it’s just really hard to get in. Time consuming, expensive and often disappointing. I’ve shifted my strategy from applying for a H1B/H2B to an E2 or L1 Visa which are investor visas/management transferal visas which is not an option for you, as this would require you to set up a company in the US.

Visas left aside, it’s still very hard to get such a gig as there are many pilots in the US who want to do the same. There are just too many low-hour CPL pilots who are waiting for their big chance.

Here are suggestions that might help:
- Call Florida Flyers and ask them what they’d suggest (they have experience in getting german pilots into the US I guess)
- Go to Canada, Phillippines, Indonesia, Africa, etc.
- If you have the qualifications you might get another (non-aviation) job in the US that would sponsor you (unfortunately almost nobody will sponsor someone to fill a pilot position) and fly in your spare time
- If you have your own company you can set up a subsidiary company and transfer yourself to the US. This option is expensive, but more realistic and probably the quickest if the funds are available.

Last Edited by Dominik at 22 Jul 08:13

+ 1

Last Edited by Michael at 22 Jul 08:14
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message