Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the Remotest Place That You've Flown to?

I can’t compete with any of the above for the degree of the middle of nowhere, but the geometrically remotest place I have ever flown to from home is this

Oddly enough I did it VFR and then IFR some 6 years later, and subsequently. 1500nm away from home.

The most remote place I have flown in is this

Arizona, 2006, the FAA IR 300nm x/c flight. 11,000ft in a PA28-161. Under the hood all the way except for a few brief moments to get photos.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Somewhere on the Saudi/Oman border.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

The most remote place I’ve piloted to was Orkney. But the most remote place I’ve flown was on a trip from London to Australia via Hong-Kong. I’m not sure of the exact route, but there were lots of names on the inflight map that I recognised only from playing Risk. I think it took us over the silk route. Whatever. The sky was blue and the air crystal clear. The desolation was magnificent. I had never realised there were so many mountains in the world. There were deserts. Glaciers. And a Virgin Atlantic stewardess who said would I kindly close the blind as it was disturbing the passengers. The second time round she got quite annoyed.

One of my remote airports I have flown to.

Pre GPS days too. Giving my age away. Hahaha

Same airport different view.

A screen grab of the trip we did that day. The pictures of the airport is the airport at the far north east of the plog called Matatiele South Africa. Good flying in those days but sadly I have yet to find a like minded pilot to share my adventures. :-)

Last Edited by Bloomer at 15 Aug 08:26
Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

Great posts guys :)

Bloomer…give us a clue….where is it?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Added info to my original post for you dublin pilot.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

And a Virgin Atlantic stewardess who said would I kindly close the blind as it was disturbing the passengers. The second time round she got quite annoyed

Did you comply? I would think she had absolutely no right to ask that. You paid for your seat, you got the window, so you can have the blind anyway you wish. I would have suggested that the abnormalities of the other passengers was bothering me…..

I do not have photographs that I can upload here, but years ago I stood at Burnt Wagons Point, Death Valley, early morning, and it really did feel like I was the only one on the planet. Flown into Orkney, Shetland, and I agree that when you fly long haul, I am always amazed at how vast tracts are literally uninhabitable, save a few souls. The Alaskan Tundra always gives me that feeling of nothingness.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Last Edited by JasonC at 15 Aug 09:45
EGTK Oxford

It was sufficiently remote that the only other way of getting there was a four hour hike.

Did you comply? I would think she had absolutely no right to ask that. You paid for your seat, you got the window, so you can have the blind anyway you wish. I would have suggested that the abnormalities of the other passengers was bothering me…..

I don’t know what the legal rights and wrongs were. I’d worked a night shift prior to the flight, so was just about the only passenger awake. If I had my time again, I’d try to drape a blanket behind my head to block the light.

Sign in to add your message