Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK could see major overhaul of air traffic control in near future

I thought we had only just got "Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast, or ADS-B".

and now:-

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

See here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks peter - got that now. Hadn't spotted it B4.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

The UK CAA announced the Future Airspace Strategy some time ago and refers to implementation by 2020. This is the biggest shift in IFR operation since the disappearance of Radio Ranges in the early 60s, but nobody has thought to tell the training community or EASA, who's proposals for IR training are still based on rapidly disappearing 1950s technology.

When are they going to wake up and start talking to one another?

Can you post a link to something "readable", or a summary, Tumbleweed?

I am sure some will think I am a bit of a nerd but I find the usual 500 page documents to be barely readable...

Administrator

spotted it B4.

I reckon B4 is just a tad SWF of A9b?

Humbly requesting the all-superior native English speakers to be kind to the less fortunate.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Yes, please, no facebook or twitter or SMS texting language.

Administrator

The UK CAA announced the Future Airspace Strategy some time ago and refers to implementation by 2020. This is the biggest shift in IFR operation since the disappearance of Radio Ranges in the early 60s, but nobody has thought to tell the training community or EASA, who's proposals for IR training are still based on rapidly disappearing 1950s technology. When are they going to wake up and start talking to one another?

Your challenge is a fair one. EASA has a rulemaking task MDM.062 which will have as one of its outputs the incorporation of Performance Based Navigation (PBN, i.e. RNAV stuff in its various flavours) in the mainstream of OPS and FCL regulation.

On the ATM-side, Eurocontrol is leading the PBN stuff, with proposals for (see the summary towards the end of the workshop slides)

• RNP APCH (i.e. LNAV, LNAV/VNAV or LPV) at every instrument runway end by 2018

• Terminal operations predicated on RNP1 with RF leg and RNAV holding by 2020

• Enroute ops above 195 using A-RNP with FRT by 2023

In the UK, the plan is for RNAV1 (PRNAV) sooner than that.

While the subject under discussion above was surveillance (and operating an ADS-B out box is not quite as hard as operating a Mode S transponder :)), navigation is the key for training and operations requirements.

(Edited to say that the MDM.062 URL seems to need some sort of escaping -- mod help please?) [ done - any round brackets within a URL need a backslash \ in front of them ]

Humbly requesting the all-superior native English speakers to be kind to the less fortunate.

From my observation of your posts in other threads on here Jan I would say your English is vastly superior to most native speakers!

or should I say vastly superior to that of most native speakers.... :)

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

In the UK, the plan is for RNAV1 (PRNAV) sooner than that.

What is their plan for allowing GA into PRNAV airspace?

I could not find anything in that document.

99% of GA is and never will be PRNAV compliant, and actually neither are the vast majority of business jets.

Administrator
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message