Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Palma, Mallorca

Any tips from those that have flown in there IFR?

EGTK Oxford

I’ve flown in a dozen times, 6 times this summer .

Not much to say for the flight portion, for a lowly SEP, may be different for you high-flying Big Boys !

I’m assuming you’re using St Bonet, since the main airport appears to be 99% heavy commercial.

Great GA platform, low landing fee although the parking fee was jacked up recently but only summer months, IIRC.

Friendly and helpfull Ops desk, short and inexpensive taxi into town .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

You can’t fly IFR into Son Bonet (LESB). If you file Y they want you VFR when over the island, say at POS VOR and then you need to find your way to SB at 1.000 ft AGL for 30 miles or so. That is fine for a SEP or MEP but not a good idea for a Mustang. I always recommend jets going to SB to fly the approach to LEPA and then break off once near SB, say at 1.000 MSL. ATC will allow this, just make sure to use standard phraseology, like ‘request to fly ILS xx approach and break off to Son Bonet on short final’ Note that once you get to SB, you’ll be on the ‘wrong’ side of the circuit, and you may elect to stay there and do a left hand circuit (for 23) or right hand (05). Just make sure you mention that you are a Citation, that you are between Son San Juan and Son Bonet and emphasize the word LEFT or RIGHT, so that us lowly sparrows have time to hide in the bushes. If you want a cup of coffee, let me know when you come. I can also take you into town. Also goes for any other coming to ‘my’ airfield!

But maybe I’m writing this all for nothing and you’re heading for the main airport? Be prepared for a rip-off..

Last Edited by aart at 01 Oct 06:45
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Am I right in that Son Bonet has avgas (which Jason doesn’t need) but no Customs/Immigration, while Palma has no avgas and has Customs/Immigration. So for a flight to/from the UK, Palma is the only option.

UK pilots who flew to Mallorca and need avgas have to clear Schengen somewhere else, which is a big hassle as always unless the stop can be arranged as something you want to do anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, you are completely right, I forgot that from the UK you can’t fly to SB direct, sorry! There is AVTUR though.
So indeed, for a direct flight from the UK, LEPA is the only option. It has excellent facilities for bizjets btw, Mallorcair is the favorite handling company. Jason, we can also have our cup of coffee there, at least we get something back for the rip-off..

Last Edited by aart at 01 Oct 07:05
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Be very careful with parking spots if you go to PMI. They have a nasty habit of giving you a perfectly reasonable looking stand, then telling you when you call for start that it is pushback only and you must push back. They don’t care if you don’t have a tug/towbar. Confirm with your handlers that they are putting you on a PIPO stand.

If you do get stuck, you can either just request taxi and do a 180 while they splutter at you over the radio or release the brakes and get somebody to physically push.

You may also encounter this one in VLC, but it seems to be a Spanish form of insanity.

London area

Josh wrote:

PIPO

?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Power In, Power Out.

London area

Thanks all. Yes I have to go into LEPA. All noted but I think a pushback is unavoidable unless you are on a quick turn. If I have to I will make sure at least to arrange it in advance.

EGTK Oxford

Nice run down yesterday. http://www.ing-golze.de/users/tracks/2350325655812923876.html

@aart, we are staying out of town but happy to meet up for a coffee tomorrow morning if you want to meet at the GA terminal. I will be there about 1030lcl.

EGTK Oxford
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message