Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Insurance companies, premiums, exclusions, etc

I’ve always been a client of Allianz Italy since 2012 for both cirruses I owned, paying I think competitives premia. For my new rv7 they quoted me almost double than a cirrus despite being half hull value and half seats. I finally ended up with a French broker quoting almost half (the insurances behind being Axa and Allianz France). Never imagined how much savings can be achieved by shopping around for plane insurances, especially cross-border.

United Kingdom

Recommendations for GA insurance companies (Germany)

All,

You have been a great help in informing our upcoming move from the US to Germany this summer. As always with every five questions answered ten more come up. This one has to do with insurance. Our current insurance agency does not do business in Europe. Any recommendations? We have a Bonanaza A36 and a factory Pitts Special S2B (will need airshow coverage).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Blue skies,

Jill & Chuck

Germany

For my plane BAVARIA was a good choice from the beginning – [email protected].

Berlin, Germany

Sydney Charles have done mine for years. Spot on with service and price every time.

UK, United Kingdom

Can recommend Braasch insurance broker in Hamburg.
Aviation expert, access to all major underwriters.
Will collect proposals and negotiate on your behalf.
…got me a good package after a previous total claim.

(incidentally, the best for me came from Delwag, LH spin off)

EDM_, Germany

Maybe you should go for an AOPA Germany membership. They are working together with the Aachen Münchner and do offer special conditions.

EDDS , Germany

Thanks you, once again!

Blue skies.

Germany

Can anyone offer any experience of Visicover? Good or bad, by PM if you prefer. Specifically on claims handling; that is the bit which matters.

Haywards have increased their premium from 2.1k to 2.9k for no apparentl reason so it’s time to look around. Visicover are half the price!

However Visicover go to great lengths to avoid publishing a phone number, which looks pretty bad. After some googling I found 01183282666.

UPDATE: Visicover are functional; basically an online broker. I can’t see anything wrong, so I moved from Haywards after 17 years!

One has to read their policy carefully. They exclude Serbia for example, so no stops at Sarajevo. No Montenegro. No Macedonia. No Turkey either. You can overfly the excluded countries on established aviation routes… and forced landings are covered.

There is also much small print which details lots of scenarios which are probably quite common in GA accidents e.g. a lack of license or medical, or interestingly departing on a runway which is not authorised by the aircraft manufacturer.

They also want to know about any airspace busts and presumably the cover is void if you don’t report them (they don’t impose a loading for “simple” cases, but I bet much of their customer base has no insurance due to this).

Also interestingly they don’t ask any questions about the pilot’s medical history; I asked them this specifically today and they are not interested provided the pilot is legal on the license and the medical (which makes sense since that is how it should be done, and pilot incapacitation is statistically insignificant, but I think this is relatively generous). This implies that you could make a transition from say a Class 2 medical to the UK NPPL with the medical self declaration and don’t have to tell them.

Geographical Limits
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland,
France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Holy See (Vatican City State), Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia,
Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania,
San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and transit Airspace
between these countries, principalities and territories

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One can add all this for (in my case) £36

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Shows again how complicated aviation insurance is in the UK.
In Germany, insurances are much simpler, because they are usually “worldwide”, with a couple of listed exemptions.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message