Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Insurance companies, premiums, exclusions, etc

Peter wrote:

Peter11-Dec-23 06:3823
I would be very surprised if the broker was making that much money. Much more likely it is caused by

Portugal being a tiny market where the customers are trapped with little choice
Visicover achieve their lower premiums by a clever exclusion of various less than obvious risks (see further back in this thread)

I don´t know if the broker, via Fidelidade in this case, is making that large chunk of cash on my current insurance, it´s not easy to figure out (without effort!) who gets what. What I know is that with an equal or better insurance coverage, and a user friendly and adaptable online tool, I get an insurance at 1/3 the price. Likely, I was overcharged on my first insurance, since I was short of time for the ferry flight, but why return to someone taking advantage, when there´s what seems like “no brainer” right in front of the right leg.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

I would be very surprised if the broker was making that much money. Much more likely it is caused by

• Portugal being a tiny market where the customers are trapped with little choice
  • Visicover achieve their lower premiums by a clever exclusion of various less than obvious risks (see further back in this thread)
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Arun wrote:

It would be interesting to know why Visicover only covers certain countries.
I am paying more than double with a German insurer compared to the ex-owner with Visicover. They seem to be quite flexible with resident/citizen/registered country. My German insurer agent wasn’t happy with non-German registration. Even with DE tail number, the premium has hardly changed.

It would be interesting indeed.
I just ran my date through it and came up with about 1/3 of the rip off price I´m paying in Portugal. Being a Danish National (and passport holder), but not a resident, I´m wondering what difference it all makes. Anyways, will look into it. Smart Insurance company, it seems, I hope they will expand and eradicate the current cockroaches (aka f@ckin´ useless brokers!) and move us closer to the actual insurance companies (in this case Allianz).

Last Edited by Yeager at 10 Dec 21:56
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

It would be interesting to know why Visicover only covers certain countries.
I am paying more than double with a German insurer compared to the ex-owner with Visicover. They seem to be quite flexible with resident/citizen/registered country. My German insurer agent wasn’t happy with non-German registration. Even with DE tail number, the premium has hardly changed.

EDMB, Germany

It is actually very rare for piston GA insurers to do foreign stuff.

I’m not so sure about whether it’s that rare, but it could be that I’m an outlier. I have never had any kind of a problem insuring various aircraft with various brokers and various underwriters while I am a citizen of country A, a resident in country B, my aircraft were registered in country C, the brokers were in country D and the underwriters were in country E

Last Edited by aart at 06 Dec 16:08
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I don’t even know anyone around here who is with one of these two.

Probably because they don’t serve Germany.

It is actually very rare for piston GA insurers to do foreign stuff. With TPs it can be done, with jets it is common (I have contacted loads of the EDNY exhibitors in past years, with all kinds of amusing – mostly arrogant – responses).

Administrator

Thank you guys. I got a quote last night from the usual ‘’go to’’ on line company, checked Flycovered this morning, and quite a difference in premium. The Flycovered options are really ’’cheap’’, however interestingly a straight like for like, Flycovered were dearer by £85.00.

I do like the ground cover option and pay to fly. That probably would suit me very well. I have a few days to think about it.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 06 Dec 11:43
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I don’t even know anyone around here who is with one of these two.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Do you have examples of actual problems?

For sure you need to speak English. But if you speak only say Mongolian then yes you need an insurer in Mongolia… no way around that one. It would surprise me if a UK insurer dealt with overseas claims any differently. There are very few prejudices in the UK (nowadays).

Administrator

Call me old-fashioned, but the day I have a claim, I don’t want to be “dealing” with a UK company, from continental Europe.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
498 Posts
Sign in to add your message