Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Moving from N-reg to EASA-reg, and EASA acceptance of FAA modifications

other end of the job spectrum, somebody flying for a living is likely an AOC operation so the licensing will be as per the AOC approval already.

You seem to imply that a European AOC (operating N-reg aircraft) means European licenses for their pilots. I don’t that is necessairly true.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Phobos wrote:

Hello Bookworm, when is the BASA IPL being released ?

I don’t have any specific information on that, I’m afraid. The glacial timescales appear to be surprising even those close to the process.

You seem to imply that a European AOC (operating N-reg aircraft) means European licenses for their pilots. I don’t that is necessairly true.

Do you know of contrary examples?

There is/was some stuff on AOC ops on foreign registers on the UK DfT website. Such an approval is/was subject to a lack of protests from locally registered and licensed competitors. That was for the UK, anyway.

I do know of cases where the DfT had given permission for some ops which were definitely outside the rules e.g. someone was able to lend his N-reg plane to someone for an FAA checkride, with a freelance visiting DPE. Obviously this was some years ago. So there is flexibility.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t have any examples straight away.

Thanks Peter, yes we had heard about the possibility of changing Operator location, it’s something we are currently looking at, but still a difficult option though.

We decided to draw the line at the 14 EASA ATPL exams and conversion though. There should really be no need and as you quite rightly say they are full of crap.

The “right to be able to work” in EU regs probably has some mileage, unfair discrimination towards non EU licenced pilots.

I think we owe it to ourselves to fight unfair regulation such as this. Who knows what will be next if not, and are we just going to bend over and get shafted every single time Brussels craps out another unfair reg.

If all else fails there’s €20,000 in the legal pot here for starters, it may not go far but at least it’s better to try than to just accept the EASA dictatorship

something we are currently looking at

Who is “we”, please?

It’s just a very “3rd world” thing to do

Like in Norway.
Since the last time we have discussed this here on the forum, the number of people in Norway opposing this “law”, is growing.

Mostly because it is just absurd that Norway should be one of the only countries in Europe to forbid N-reg (NO, we are not a AK47 state), but also because its a “Law” that the Norwegian CAA have made up without having the authority to do so.
Reversing such a law is extremely difficult, but as the number of people opposing this law grows, it will eventually have enough momentum so that it can no longer be left unchanged.

Im doing my best to spread the “news” on this through the people I know in GA in Norway. They are tired of the the way CAA is ruining national GA.

spirit49
LOIH

spirit49 wrote:

NO, we are not a AK47 state

MP5/Glock state then It’s not the CAA that makes the laws, the CAA only makes regulations. What forbids N-reg is the law, and the CAA has to obey the law just like everybody else. Besides, it’s not at all my impression. Norway has always been a good place to register, with more or less identical regulations (in principle) as the FAA regarding maintenance. That changed when when we started to adopt EU regulations in the 1990s, but it’s still much alive for Annex II aircraft (more precisely experimental and “old classics” with no EASA registration). They don’t need maintenance organisations and all that nonsense that serves no good but to drain money and implode cost.

When I got my PPL in 1992, I paid less in total, than what a normal airline ticket to the US and back costed at that time. Today a PPL cost 10-20 airline tickets to the US and back, if not more.

National GA in Norway is helicopters (90%), and that business goes like never before, even in a stagnant oil business.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

A few lines from one of the other EASA directives may possibly be of help for non EU licenced pilots that have been flying in the EU for years. I would argue that the member state has already given recognition by virtue of allowing the pilot to fly there for a number of years

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex:32005L0036

‘regulated profession’: a professional activity or group of professional activities, access to which, the pursuit of which, or one of the modes of pursuit of which is subject, directly or indirectly, by virtue of legislative, regulatory or administrative provisions to the possession of specific professional qualifications; in particular, the use of a professional title limited by legislative, regulatory or administrative provisions to holders of a given professional qualification shall constitute a mode of pursuit. Where the first sentence of this definition does not apply, a profession referred to in paragraph 2 shall be treated as a regulated profession;

3. Evidence of formal qualifications issued by a third country shall be regarded as evidence of formal qualifications if the holder has three years’ professional experience in the profession concerned on the territory of the Member State which recognised that evidence of formal qualifications in accordance with Article 2(2), certified by that Member State.

What is also interesting is that some private registries seem to be very keen to implement like Bermuda, whereas others like Cayman, Aruba have nothing on their websites. IOM have a lot of information on theirs but actually don’t really have to implement any of it due to this https://www.gov.im/media/624101/protocol3relationshipwiththeeu.pdf (Apart from the requirements of Protocol 3 all other EU legislation is not directly applicable to the Island)

And of course we are all awaiting the BASA from the FAA, however if there are no large concessions for FAA to EASA conversion for high time corporate jet pilots already working in the EU then it will likely be worthless

Sign in to add your message