Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Journey Log requirements

For all flights,event traffic circuits..
I’m so accustomed to aircraft logbook that I have trouble understanding how you calculate your aircraft flight hours in USA without it? Here it is the basis for everything.. And yes, the inspections are also written into logbook, or at least they used to be, nowadays I get a “logbook entry” which is separate A4.

EETU, Estonia

They have a hobbs meter or other automatic timer, record the time when the annual was done, and when it reaches 100 hours more than that they do a hundred hour inspection. And every x hours they do whatever else is required. The logbooks only contain the total hours at each maintenance event

You don’t need to record every trip you make in your car to decide when to take it for a service, or do you? Or record every trip you make to count your driving hours?

These recording rules are stupid, but that is Europe…

Biggin Hill

ivark wrote:

I’m so accustomed to aircraft logbook that I have trouble understanding how you calculate your aircraft flight hours in USA without it? Here it is the basis for everything.. And yes, the inspections are also written into logbook, or at least they used to be, nowadays I get a “logbook entry” which is separate A4.

The hours recording device in the plane is installed for that purpose, and I don’t have any motivation to differentiate between flight hours and taxi hours. Having said that, virtually all maintenance on the plane is done on condition so it makes little difference except for hours based ADs. Nobody cares where the plane has been flown or the time of day.

100 hr inspections are not required for non-commercial use.

Same basic principle with pilot logbooks – they aren’t necessary, the only FAA legal requirement is to record (Biennial) Flight Reviews and enough recent flights to demonstrate currency if you are carrying passengers etc. Pilot log books are not a legal requirement.

My aircraft maintenance logs stay locked up at home.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 May 15:21

So you have to carry the service log on board? I thought it was 101 that the service log was not taken on the aircraft, so that it doesn’t burn in the wreckage?

Yes, it’s strange. However, there’s copy of these records at CAMO.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

So, to clarify, some countries are looking for a journey log?

It’s mandatory by European Reg
A article explaining the reg and how it changes things for French pilots https://xcaviation.wordpress.com/2018/05/30/carnet-de-route/

NCO.GEN.150 Journeylog
Particulars of the aircraft, its crew and each journey shall be retained for each flight, or series of flights, in the form of a journey log, or equivalent.
AMC1NCO.GEN.150 Journeylog
GENERAL
(a) The aircraft journey log, or equivalent, should include the following items, where applicable:
(1) aircraft nationality and registration;
(2) date;
(3) name of crew member(s);
(4) duty assignments of crew members, if applicable;
(5) place of departure;
(6) place of arrival;
(7) time of departure;
(8) time of arrival;
(9) hours of flight;
(10) nature of flight;
(11) incidents and observations (if any); and
(12) signature of the pilot-in-command.
(b) The information or parts thereof may be recorded in a form other than on printed paper. Accessibility, usability and reliability should be assured.

From here

The UK will incorporate EU laws current at brexit date into its own regs, supposedly. In some cases the process will be rather torturous as to the wording but I suspect the journey log will remain, being an old ICAO requirement which everybody ignored for decades and then EASA dug it out.

We also don’t know whether the UK will remain in EASA regs, or just partially, etc.

N-regs need to keep it also, if the operator is based in EASA-land.

Whether the penalty for not producing a journey log will compare with getting a post-gasco license suspension, is a good Q

Since there is virtually zero known enforcement of the journey log, it would be an “interesting new tactic” for the CAA to use that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I suspect the journey log will remain, being an old ICAO requirement which everybody ignored for decades and then EASA dug it out.

In the UK, maybe, but not in other countries.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Off_Field wrote:

So there’s no need for non eu resident people to do so?

N-Reg flights is a side discussion as the UK- (or any other EASA-)CAA obviously can’t revoke a FAA-license and therefore obviously can’t mandate a training course to maintain the FAA-license.

What the CAA can do, however, is to ban a plane or pilot from flights within the EASA-airspace if the pilot and or operator does not comply with local regulations.

In short: You do not want to discuss with the CAA that they can’t sanction you because the plane is n-reg. There’s nothing to win in such discussions…

Germany

Last time I checked the ICAO recommendation for journey logs it was for international flights, which is why it is completely unknown for domestic flights under FAA regs. It’s not clear to me why a European national CAA would automatically expect an aircraft in its airspace to have a journey log listing PIC, unless they independently passed a law to require it.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Jan 16:45

The journey log requirement is made in the treaty itself (applicable to international flight). It is amplified in Annex 6 Part II: 2.8.2.1 A journey log book shall be maintained for every aeroplane engaged in international air navigation in which shall be entered particulars of the aeroplane, its crew and each journey.

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message