Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Journey Log requirements

Well yes, this is an EASA AMC. However the above quote is from ORO.MLR.110, which does not apply to NCO-operators. However, the NCO-rule is almost the same. And I second that AMCs cannot be country specific, they are the same in all member states. Under NCO we have to comply with NCO.GEN.150 and its AMC1 NCO.GEN.150 (you can look it up in the Easy Access Rules here: https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/general-publications/easy-access-rules-air-operations):

NCO.GEN.150 Journey log
Particulars of the aircraft, its crew and each journey shall be retained for each flight, or series of flights,
in the form of a journey log, or equivalent.

AMC1 NCO.GEN.150 Journey log
GENERAL
(a) The aircraft journey log, or equivalent, should include the following items, where applicable:
(1) aircraft nationality and registration;
(2) date;
(3) name of crew member(s);
(4) duty assignments of crew members, if applicable;
(5) place of departure;
(6) place of arrival;
(7) time of departure;
(8) time of arrival;
(9) hours of flight;
(10) nature of flight;
(11) incidents and observations (if any); and
(12) signature of the pilot-in-command.
(b) The information or parts thereof may be recorded in a form other than on printed paper.
Accessibility, usability and reliability should be assured.

I have been continuing to search and read about the requirements for documents and most of all this Journey Log requirement. If we look at NCO.GEN.135 and in particular GM1 NCO.GEN.135(a)(8) Documents, manuals and information to be carried.

JOURNEY LOG OR EQUIVALENT

’Journey log or equivalent’ means that the required information may be recorded in documentation
other than a log book, such as the operational flight plan or the aircraft technical log.
(see in Definitions AMC1 – NCO.GEN.150 Journey log)

Now in NCO.GEN.135 it states 13 documents to be carried (not counting the part about remaining within a distance or area determined by the competent authority) (This is not easy to find for countries other than the UK)

In this list there is no specific requirement to carry an operational flight plan or Technical log, but there is an MEL (If applicable). Now as far as I can remember from my 737 days the Tech log and MEL although not the same document go hand in hand. They are both on board. If you get a fault, you list it in the tech log and cross check that it is permissible to fly with this defect in the MEL.

It also states that the required information “may" be recorded in documentation other than a log book, in other words the information may be recorded in the airplane log book. However we do not really want to be flying around with the airplane lo books for various risks involved.

Now if I can assume that the operational flight Plan is the one and the same as many British pilots call a “plog” or what I have always known as being a “Navigation Log” (Flight LOG – FAA) then, just by adding a couple of requirements from AMC1 – NCO.GEN.150; such as (10) nature of flight; (11) incidents and observations (if any); and (12) signature of the pilot-in-command, then we have the answer to the requirement to carry a Journey Log.

And it is all in one, except for the tech log. Journey log for EASA regulations and Nav log for navigating.

I would say that the best way to operate is to carry an operational flight plan and tech log for all flights which start and terminate at different airports, since it does say that “(a)(2) to (a)(8) may be retained at the aerodrome or operating site” when:-

(1) intending to take off and land at the same aerodrome/operating site; or
(2) remaining within a distance or area determined by the competent authority.

This way we have more than the required documents and if an inspection occurs nothing can be said to the contrary.

AS far as I am concerned I will modify my existing Nav Log by adding the missing items and rename it Operational flight plan.

All I have to do is convince my Aeroclub that they need to have an operational flight plan designed and printed to be ready to carry on board and retain after flights, since up until now the Nav log (Plog or Op flight plan) were personal documents in the world of private flying.

The question remains about how long must they be stored after the flight.

Does anyone know where this information is ? I did see it the other day, but failed to record its location.

Also does anyone know where in the new regulations EASA ANNEX I- VIII is there any mention of the “contents” of the Operational Flight Plan. The requirement to carry this document is in CAT.GEN.MPA.180

I do have an older version by EU-OPS, which listed the contents

Out of interest there are 3 other documents which are of vital importance but are not listed as required on board in NCO.GEN.135

Weather information, Notams and weight and Balance.

These are however mentioned as follows:-

NCO.GEN.105(a)(4)(iv) Requires the PiC to be satisfied that W&B is within limits.

NCO.OP.135 Requires the PIC checks the Weather and NOTAMS

I would think that it would be reasonable to carry these on board to prove compliance in case of being checked.

San Luis, Spain

It would help, @FrancisA, if you filled in your profile, at least a bit, and then someone can offer you better feedback.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
The question remains about how long must [the operational flight plan] be stored after the flight.
Does anyone know where this information is ? I did see it the other day, but failed to record its location.

ORO.MLR.115 (b) Record-keeping requires retention for 3 months. This of course applies only to operators covered by Part-ORO. There’s no requirement for an NCO operator to retain or even have an OFP or nav log.

FrancisA wrote:

Also does anyone know where in the new regulations EASA ANNEX I- VIII is there any mention of the “contents” of the Operational Flight Plan. The requirement to carry this document is in CAT.GEN.MPA.180

AMC1 CAT.OP.MPA.175(a)

Out of interest there are 3 other documents which are of vital importance but are not listed as required on board in NCO.GEN.135
Weather information, Notams and weight and Balance.

These are however mentioned as follows:-
NCO.GEN.105(a)(4)(iv) Requires the PiC to be satisfied that W&B is within limits.
NCO.OP.135 Requires the PIC checks the Weather and NOTAMS

I would think that it would be reasonable to carry these on board to prove compliance in case of being checked.

It would be reasonable, but there is no requirement in Part-NCO for a W&B schedule, or for copies of wx and NOTAMs. Proof of compliance with the pre-flight requirements can be by other means.

So a spreadsheet online containing

(1) aircraft nationality and registration;
(2) date;
(3) name of crew member(s);
(4) duty assignments of crew members, if applicable;
(5) place of departure;
(6) place of arrival;
(7) time of departure;
(8) time of arrival;
(9) hours of flight;
(10) nature of flight;
(11) incidents and observations (if any); and
(12) signature of the pilot-in-command

is sufficient?
Apart from the signature this should be easy.

always learning
LO__, Austria

bookworm wrote:

Proof of compliance with the pre-flight requirements can be by other means

Inspector: “Are you satisfied that weight and balance is within limits”?
PIC: “Yes, I am”.

So far, so good. Of course, annoying an inspector isn’t a good idea, but at this point, isn’t the burden of proof on the inspector to show that you are outside W&B limits?

Biggin Hill

I think it would be reasonable for the inspector to ask the pilot to demonstrate that the W&B is within limits, but there is no requirement to have a ready-prepared document for NCO.

Does the signature have to be one written with a pen? How about a cryptographic signature for a journey log kept purely electronically?

Andreas IOM

Just as an update to this old saga: has anyone been asked to show a journey log to any airport official?

I’ve had my license looked at many times, at airports, when passing through to/from airside. Never the medical and never the journey log. And they are always happy with just the FAA plastic card.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, of couse, because when they do that, they are not looking at your license in order to verify that everything is perfectly OK licensing-wise (that would be done only by CAA staff), but only to verify you are an “authorized person” to be going airside. That’s two very different things. These “airport officials” or security people will never ask you for anything else, also because they are not trained for it.

I have been running around with just my (no longer valid!) credit card FAA license for 20 years now and it always works for being admitted airside. I would never carry around my (valid) licenses for fear of losing / misplacing them.

On the journey log, please remember you won’t get a useful reply from many parts of Europe, because there, the journey log (or the national predecessor, the “Borduch”, or however it was called), has always been a mandatory document. And yes, during full “CAA” pilot/aircraft doc checks, they will sometimes ask for it and look at it.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 May 13:23
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message