Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Journey Log requirements

gallois wrote:

for the “gendarmes de l’air” they can see everything they wish to know about the aircraft

As I have said once before on this forum, I got well and truly ‘turned over’ one evening by this happy bunch at La Rochelle, they had especially flown up from Biarritz just to meet me and they were joined by 4 others that were based at La Rochelle, it was a real fun party, me and 8 of them, I had the full treatment including a free vacuum of the plane and all this in the rain and the dark, not a great experience being unnecessarily treated like a criminal.

My friend had a similar experience in Biarritz, along with being breathalysed at 11 in the morning.

Is there something about this area of France?

I think the La Rochelle school is closed now or at least all the buildings that used to be there, ne t to the airport have all been demolished now.

France

gallois wrote:

Why would a training school at LFBZ have anything to do with being ramp checked

He means “School of Douaniers”, well it’s just a pilot forums myth there isn’t any “Biarritz School of Customs” !
But fresh students from LaRochelle School will get their ground training in Biarritz during summers

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 May 14:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Why would a training school at LFBZ have anything to do with being ramp checked.
It is standard procedure in France to carry the journey log in the aircraft for any flight between A and B. A to A is unnecessary. The journey log is filled in by the PIC after every flight.
Ours just has date, PIC or student/instructor, flight from and to, UTC OBT UTC brakes on, type of flight eg school or private, fuel and oil added either at.depart or return, a remarks section (if all is well we put RAS in here indicating that all is well and.we sign it as being correct.
So for the “gendarmes de l’air” they can see everything they wish to know about the aircraft and also the pockets of the journey log also contain the noise certificate, insurance certificate, weight and balance template etc.
In the clubs this book is normally kept in a briefcase along.with the keys to aircraft, flight manual, aircraft keys and often the portàble personal locator beacon.

France

I‘ve been ramp checked in France two or three times and the Gendarmes were most interested in the journey logs of the plane.

I forgot about the other reports, also from France. This is interesting. I wonder why France is especially interested in this. OTOH it is known that if you land at LFBZ you will get turned over by the police there, but that’s because there is a training school there, not because they want to check you

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On journey logs the regs seem pretty clear.

1944 ICAO Chicago Convention, Article 34

There shall be maintained in respect of every aircraft engaged in international navigation a journey log book in which shall be entered particulars of the aircraft, its crew and of each journey, in such form as may be prescribed from time to time pursuant to this Convention.

ICAO Annex 6 Part I

11.4.1. The aeroplane journey log book should contain the following items and the corresponding roman numerals:

Aeroplane nationality and registration.
i Date.
ii Names of crew members.
iii Duty assignments of crew members.
iv Place of departure.
v Place of arrival.
vi Time of departure.
vii Time of arrival.
viii Hours of flight.
ix Nature of flight (private, aerial work, scheduled or non-scheduled).
x Incidents, observations, if any.
xi Signature of person in charge.
11.4.2 Recommendation.— Entries in the journey log book should be made currently and in ink or indelible pencil.

11.4.3 Recommendation.— Completed journey log book should be retained to provide a continuous record of the last six months’ operations.

EASA Air Ops Annex 1 to 8
§AMC1 ORO.MLR.110

The aircraft journey log, or equivalent, should include the following items, where applicable:
aircraft nationality and registration,
date,
- name(s) of crew member(s),
- duty assignments of crew member(s),
- place of departure,
- place of arrival,
- time of departure,
- time of arrival,
- hours of flight,
- nature of flight (scheduled or non-scheduled),
- incidents, observations, if any,
- signature of person in charge.

The information, or parts thereof, may be recorded in a form other than on printed paper. Accessibility, usability and reliability should be assured.

‘Journey log, or equivalent’ means that the required information may be recorded in documentation other than a log book, such as the operational flight plan or the aircraft technical log.

‘Series of flights’ means consecutive flights, which begin and end:
– within a 24-hour period;
– at the same aerodrome or operating site or remain within a local area specified in the operations manual; and with the same pilot-in-command/commander of the aircraft.

ICAO Annex 6 Part II

2.8.2 A journey log book shall be maintained for every aeroplane engaged in international air navigation in which shall be entered particulars of the aeroplane, its crew and each journey.

2.8.2.2. Recommendation.—The aeroplane journey log should contain the following items:

aeroplane nationality and registration;
date;
crew member names and duty assignments;
departure and arrival points and times;
purpose of flight;
observations regarding the flight; and
signature of the pilot-in-command.

EASA Air Ops Annex 1 to 8,
§GM1 ORO.MLR.110 Particulars of the aircraft, its crew and each journey shall be retained for each flight, or series of flights, in the form of a journey log, or equivalent.

T28
Switzerland

From here

Nobody has ever reported anybody looking at this.

I‘ve reported this here several times. I‘ve been ramp checked in France two or three times and the Gendarmes were most interested in the journey logs of the plane.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Re journey log signature

When in retro mood I sometimes charter a 1970 arrow owned by an older gentleman. The last time I entered „PIC: Name Pilot, Signature“ in the aircraft logbook under the generic/remarks section (which btw was completely empty for all other flight entries, so no tech issue has ever been recorded).

I was subsequently called by said gentleman and he irately asked what’s up „with that terrible scribble“ in his log.
I explained journey log requirements, pic signature etc..
He then went on and asked me to never do that again, as my signature (or rather illegible scribble) might be mistaken for a noted technical squawk and could be seen as something being wrong with the plane, decrease resale value etc.

I then mentioned EASA NCO bla bla to which he replied „yes, yes but this nco is commercial stuff, us private folks don’t need that“.
Enough said ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

I have a reference here stating that the journey log is not required for flights within the UK.

I don’t know if that reference is still current.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I reported a ramp check here four years ago. As I wrote, they looked at the journey log for quite a while. However, we don’t sign it and didn’t seem to bother.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany
215 Posts
Sign in to add your message