Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random flying videos thread

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

From yesterday’s flight

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here’s another one, Shoreham to Mali Losinj and back. Edited to leave relevant ATC calls and the scenic bits.

I am using the Sony X3000 in 1080P 50fps 50mbps mode. The distortion is low enough to not need lens correction. This avoids various artefacts and makes rendering about 5x faster.

Administrator

Last Saturday I flew from Nyíregyháza LHNY to Jasna LZJS with a friend of mine and her sister in a Piper Arrow (HA-TNX).

Here is the video (10 min out of 1 hour flight):

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Just when you thought you were safe from seeing any more movies, here is the “Director’s Cut” version of this trip

This 1hr movie was edited out of 10hrs of flying time. It includes the full LOC 01 instrument approach into Bolzano, flown under VFR so you can see the terrain. The return flight is a VFR departure to the north through the canyon leading towards Brenner pass.

Filmed with Sony X3000 in 1080P 50fps 50mbps to generate around 200GB of video, edited in Vegas Pro 14, and rendered at 11mbps to fit into the 5GB Vimeo max file size limit.

There are some really scenic bits in there. I used progressive contrast and colour correction to somewhat remove the haze, using Vegas’s animated FX functionality whereby the correction is varied linearly with time.

The original 5GB file can be downloaded from Vimeo using the Download function. I also rendered a 25mbps version (9GB) but you have to look really close to see any difference. In fact the 5GB file was generated from the 9GB file using Handbrake.

Administrator

<< my most viewed video… by far… (although I guess the music is more important than the flying… )

Last Edited by mh at 09 Nov 22:54
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Here´s a little piece from todays flight. Trying to learn where to put the camera so I´m sorry if the view ain´t the best.

-ESMP-
ESMP, ESMV

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Here are three Mrs. terbang made with material from our Atlantic crossing. Clearances and position reports might be interesting for others who want to cross the pond.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

@Wernvik – that’s a good video. I don’t think there is any “perfect” solution for the camera position. I think a good one is to get the field of view just wide enough to show the whole instrument panel plus a bit, but last time I tried to do that I would have had to fit a special lens, because if I got the camera close enough the image would have been too distorted.

@robertl18c – that’s amazing. I wonder if the drone was controlled from the aircraft? I guess a Piper Cub can get somewhere near a quadcopter’s max speed… but not quite.

@terbang – great videos! Well done, exposure all spot on… that’s hard to do. You have a wonderful co-pilot in Mrs Terbang I would have needed several goes to get that Atlantic departure clearance taken down! You are also a very lucky couple to have each other to fly with. That was also a good bit of luck to get someone to video your arrival. And you have a set of lights on each wing – nice! What is that large portrait display immediately to the right of the panel centreline?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message