Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much flying are people doing?

Be interested in how much flying is done by members here.

I have been averaging about 18 hours a month but will I think typically do 10-20/month as I am flying for work trips as well as privately.

EGTK Oxford

Generally 4 - 5 hours a month as P1, and about the same in the right hand seat as a passanger. I would like to do more but time, work, weather, money, other hobbies prevent me doing so.

Edit to include additional information.

I am a part owner in a small group, though I was actually doing more hours when I was renting some years ago. I generally fly with another pilot, partly for company, and partly to go further distances on each leg. Our group (due to expensive Part M and other maintenance costs) didnt have enough money in the kitty for a new engine recently, which was required earlier than we had planned. Therefore we are paying over the top monthly contributions and hourly rates, which equates to less flying hours :-( Oh, and I also have 2 vehicles of which are the 6 cylinder variety, which are costly to run as well.

My longer term plans are to get into a group with a more mission capable aircraft, get a CBM/IR and do some touring. But I got too much else going on at the moment.

I think it's also worth stating if an owner, share owner or club renter. Surely it would be expected that usage is likely to be high to low in that order.

I've been flying P1 about 75 hours a year, with further time in the RHS as buddy/pax. At my last medical, the doctor observed this to be much higher than most private pilots who might be more in the 20-40 hour range.

JasonC, your 200 hours seems quite high to me.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Sole owner of microlight, managed a meagre 35 hours in 2012. One excuse is a couple of months' interruption after a hard landing and subsequent repairs. Should be at least 50 in 2013, but so far close to zero, what with poor weather and exhausting job.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Yes well mine is as an owner but 80% is for business (and of course paid for by the business).

EGTK Oxford

Owner, TB20, since 2002. 110hrs in 2012, which is about 25% under my average over past 11 years, mostly due to difficulty of planning foreign trips in between the constantly arriving fronts

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Member of Jodel DR1050 Group of 6 based at Inverness - 12.7 Tach hours in February 2013 + some as passenger.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Owner, Beech Bonanza N35. I utilise this for mainly family holidays, family week end breaks, about 80 hours per annum.

I also fly, a Piper L4 Cub, Pitts Special, and a Stolp Starduster Too, mainly aerobatics, strip flying, and check flying individuals for tail wheel recency. This adds up to about 10 hours a month, additional to the Beech.

I also have a display authorisation, and when doing air displays, this adds substantial extra hours, however, due to family commitments, this lapsed about 3 years ago. Getting back into it now.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Well I have to say I am most envious of peoples hours so far. I have managed a meagre sub 5 hours this year so far. i own a Cessna R172K which is very capable but sadly I need some more practice before much IMC flying because of a long time vfr only.

UK, United Kingdom

I own a share in a PA28. Flew 55 hours last year as P1, and probably something like 15 as a safety pilot for other PPLs.

This year I have only flown a paltry 5 hours so far, due to a combination of work, ghastly weather and aircraft availability. This is less than half of what I had flown by this time last year. I shall have to work hard to catch up.

EGTT, The London FIR
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message