Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Scud Running

Yes, it looks like that after the high speed stall in the clouds he regained controlled and flew into terrain gliding. But whatever: That is not a controlled maneuver in VMC, and I also don’t recommend doing that stuff in a Mustang. The pilot, if you don’t know that, was a highly qualified aerobatic pilot, very well known in Switzerland and Germany.

Lots of people do, unfortunately

Yes, are they VMC at the moment of impact? No CVR, no FDR… everybody is dead and those who aren’t usually have no memory of the event. The accident reports contain a huge % of speculation on what actually happened. They may have the trajectory (radar, on-board GPS) but that doesn’t tell you much about the cockpit.

Night flight is IMC flight, for practical purposes, unless the “night” isn’t really “night”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On a slightly different note, VFR-only airports with long paved runways like LKLN and LKPM are usually well-positioned and have relatively few obstacles around. If an IFR-qualified pilot flies there on a regular basis, it’s possible to make one’s own unpublished GPS IFR arrival and approach contingency procedure, and validate it on a VMC day. With a minimum of e.g. 500’ AGL, it would be equivalent to scud running but safer and more manageable.

A while ago, I had a procedure for diverting to LKPC when arriving to my home base (LKBU) from the west. It only required a VFR GPS with a DIRECT TO function: start at LKRK at or above 4000’ AMSL, fly direct LKZD; 2 NM short of LKZD turn direct LKPC. This puts you on the extended runway centreline. Calculate descent to arrive at MDA of 1700’ at 2 NM to LKPC (or whatever your personal minimum is). If missed, turn direct LKVO, climb 3000’, contact LKVO for instructions. If no radio contact, contact LKPR.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

P51 and two of the most prominent and well known acrobatic pilots of Switzerland at the controls. Was a huge shock fir all of us when it happened.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Did it twice. Once from the Lille area to Dover at 1000’, viz. was very good. The other time from LFRG to SFD at 500’ in rubbish weather. Don’t like it any more.

I’ll admit it – I am a scud runner.

Since the availability of moving map technology, I have become more of a Scud runner. The mainstream advice is not to do it. This is because the assumption is that if you don’t know where you are (no moving map) and are scud running, you are going to hit something. This is sensible advice so I will qualify my remarks by saying that I do put an altitude limit, below which I will not go. I have an instrument rating but I do not always want to fly in the IFR system. I like flying under VFR because I can please myself as to what altitudes I use. I invariably take advantage of a traffic service or higher. It depends on how busy the airspace is that I am using at the time.
One the features of moving map technology that I like, is that in visibilties down to 2000 meters I am quite comfortable with heading straight to the airport to join the circuit. It cuts out the radar vectoring and the typical 6 to 8 nm final. I am close in on the downwind leg with enough viz for base and final.

Some of you will regard me as a heretic. The whole point of the ATC system is to promote safety, yet here I am apparently doing the opposite All I am saying is you should do only what you are comfortable and competent with.

OK-now I will wait for the men in white coats to come and get me!

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

Propman we need some voter switches on this topic.

To curb any scud running tendencies my steed is a no gyro, no electrics, no moving map throwback. It will also only require a large handkerchief to carry out a precautionary landing if caught out. In old age my philosophy is only fly on the gauges if your being paid for it.

Put another way scud can turn to zero zero in a moment, especially in the Atlantic Isles. I can think of several acquaintances who unfortunately are no longer here due to low level VFR into IFR events.

I liked the video of your Robin landing at the Rock, with nary a cloud in sight and unlimited visibility.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I have done it extensively, but I actually don’t like it, and would advise anyone, best not to do it. Friend recently going from Scotland, to West Midlands, in an open top bi plane, scud running along the coast line, below cliff level. As he went under the SAR Sea King, yes, right under it, sense jumped back into him, he climbed, through the lowcast, got on top, and then found out he did not know where he was. His words to me-scared myself s…less.

So, the one recently where the Cub in the States, following the road, underneath an ever decreasing cloud level, and he hit some trees, with his wing tips, I might add. He was underneath the tree line bordering the road, got me thinking. He was highly experienced, a high time Cub pilot, apparently flew like this a lot. As in all walks of life, lady luck eventually runs out. Not for the faint hearted nor inexperienced. I also think, experience of low level aeros, and low level flight in general, helps, because everything at low level looks very different.

Can be good fun also..

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 13 Nov 18:55
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I was an avid scud runner when i flew through Europe VFR in my Warrior. I think I did it in a safe way, and I even admit it was fun to try to find a way back home, low alomng some highway… or through valleys to get to Italy or the Czech Republic.

Now with the Cirrus I am trying become a better IFR pilot, so i don’t do it much .. except maybe over to the avionics shop in lousy weather or back home after using an ILS for cloud breaking. But the Cirrus doesn’t feel so well when you fly it very slow. The Piper was great: flaps ten and 75 knots, completely safe.

Ok, one time I exaggerated the concept a bit. I flew to Sweden and wanted to fly from Visongsö up to Karlstadt in the rain, under low clouds. Along the shore of Läke Vänern the clouds came down to maybe 300 feet AGL and I could see that they were even lower up north. So I flew circles over the lake and waited for the weather to improve … but it got worse and I gave up and flew back to Trollhättan.

Back then there were very few windmills … today they’re really everywhere and you have to be much more careful.

Safe scud running. Cringe. Isn’t that what is called a “negation” in mathematical logic?

About 10 years back in thought I would join some club trips, just for the social part. The first one was to Shoreham and was nice enough so I signed up for another. The day prior to departure I called the organiser to tell discuss the weather and in essence told him I did not think we should go (to Jersey) due to weather. According to me we could make it there but coming back the following day would be tricky. He convinced me to shown up at the club house the next morning to assess the latest weather and make the fo/no-go decision. The next morning the forecast had not changed, and I announced that I was out. They made it to Jersey, but on the way back clouds forced them down to 500 feet above the Seine and diverted to Rouen.

That was the last time I signed up for one of these trips which attracted mostly freshly minted PPLs. I just cannot stand the idea of being in the back seat of a C172 with the PIC pressing on into deteriorating weather, descending to 500’ AGL and having no control over my destiny.

Moreover I thought the instructor exerced poor judgement and was a bad example for young and inexperienced pilots.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 13 Nov 19:46
LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message