Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CO detector / how much carbon monoxide is acceptable in the cockpit

I have done a search but could nothing recent. The survey from the CAA has brought this to mind, so a question please.
Are you using one, how do you like and have you any recommendations please?

Many thanks

UK, United Kingdom

I bought a home CO detector for the Bolkow Junior, in addition to the CO spot. Neither have shown anything.
I kept the detector in my flight-bag.
I forgot about it while flying the Jodel DR1050, until it went off, and continued bleeping until lifted out of the cockpit after landing. The CO spot hadn’t changed.
P.S. I’ve assumed you meant CO detector.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

The UK CAA has published some stats including listing popular models: here CAP 2260

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Posts moved to existing identical thread

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The consumer-grade CO detector I wrote about in this thread 5 years ago (and which has actually saved a few lives since then) turned out to be life-limited: 5 years after the installation, it started beeping to signal that its useful life was over. It wasn’t a weak battery, the device itself expired irrevocably. Probably just a life-limiting timer activated on first power-up rather than built-in self test. Looks like a very reasonable approach to me.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

After all the years, I still have the Gasalert which seems to work perfectly. It wasn’t cheap – over £200 at the time.

Administrator

I realised how important a CO alarm better than a stick on spot was, when a member here went on his PPR test. Part way through the examiner started to feel unwell and the test was called off whilst the examiner was taken to hospital. It turned out the examiner was suffering from CO poisoning. The member was fine and the stick on dot showed nothing or perhaps in hindsight ot was a little darker than usual . The maintenance company tested with a proper CO meter and the levels were high.
The examiner was in hospital for 3days and a new exam with a different examiner was arranged for a later date. It took a while for the member to regain his confidence, enough

France

I’ve got the BW Gasalert, like Peter (post 17090). Needs to be thrown away after 2 years. Works as it sometimes goes off after starting up with the canopy open, both beeping and lighting up. I’m not entirely sure about the sound level. On ground at idle clearly audible, in cruise not sure, need to test it revving up a bit. Maybe best to keep it in line of sight.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Is there a real technical reason why the electronic CO detectors should have a limited life?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Is there a real technical reason why the electronic CO detectors should have a limited life?

None that I know of, but replacing an inexpensive consumer device is cheaper than recalibrating it, and making the detector commit suicide automatically is just about the only way to deal with, ehm, alternatively smart consumers who don’t want to follow instructions but are happy to sue the manufacturer.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
Sign in to add your message