Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CO detector / how much carbon monoxide is acceptable in the cockpit

I have a home CO detector with a digital readout fixed on the ceiling console with Velcro. Cost £ 30

Is this one of those instances of regulations of TSO’d items and “approved” items which cost £ 1,000 + killing people as it’s too expensive? It is not mandatory to have one so surely the whole GA fleet being mandated to fit a “cheap” £ 30 detector would be a better policy? If it is good enough in your home whilst you are sleeping, why not your aircraft?

United Kingdom

You don’t need TSO, PMA or any other TLA for something that is not permanently attached to a plane. So a battery powered detector attached with velcro is perfectly acceptable. I have one in my fight bag.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Our Bolkow Junior had the heater cable missing, and it was always off.
We changed it to always on, and bought a household CO detector. It never bleeped. I worried slightly that it didn’t work.
I forgot it was in the sidepocket of my headset bag when I flew our Jodel DR1050 on Friday. After about 30 minutes it went off.
Today before flying I checked the exhaust. No soot about.
Again it went off after about 30 minutes.
The CO Spot on the instrument panel never changed.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

I forgot it was in the sidepocket of my headset bag when I flew our Jodel DR1050 on Friday. After about 30 minutes it went off.
Today before flying I checked the exhaust. No soot about.
Again it went off after about 30 minutes.
The CO Spot on the instrument panel never changed.

We have a consistent issue with a CO2 alarm in a G1000 C172S going off – particularly on the ground. We also have a CO spot that never indicates anything.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

issue with a CO2 alarm in a G1000 C172S going off – particularly on the ground. We also have a CO spot that never indicates anything.

Sure. You can have plenty of CO2 without getting any CO :-)

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I think AA’s leg is being pulled

Those CO spots are generally useless. They lose their sensitivity due to age, moisture, temperature, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

huv wrote:

You can have plenty of CO2 without getting any CO :-)

But what if you stop breathing? the CO2 alarm should stop

I did my night rating with a dark CO spot in the dark, I don’t recall how it look or should look like, ah those brave nights

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes, yes, I know!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Just come across this fatal accident from 2015.

Then we have the famous PA46 one.

I wonder how many more there have been?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just come across this fatal accident from 2015.

that was a big shock for many, as it involved airplane designer Wolfgang Dallach.

It also triggered the development of a now certified device named CO Patrol by BAC Digital Avionics, whose owner was a friend of Dallach. That device can be installed permanently and rigged up to your headset.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message