Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CO detector / how much carbon monoxide is acceptable in the cockpit

They don’t aim for more warnings, they aim to reduce false-negative warnings.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

they aim to reduce false-negative warnings

I guess you mean false positives? That is pointless warnings? In that case it’s really good news! You don’t happen to have any pointers to where I can read more about this?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 24 Nov 10:35
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

where I can read more about this?

I think they want to generate new regulations based on Pro-Safe raport

It is important to note, that aviation standards call for other warning levels (lower) then those for household use.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Quote(a) Each passenger and crew compartment must be suitably ventilated. Carbon monoxide concentration may not exceed one part in 20,000 parts of air.

Note that 1:20,000 (which is the design requirement) is equal to 50 parts per million (ppm) (which is what most CO detectors will display).

maehhh wrote:

Well sounds like I should indeed discuss this with the mechanic… CO concentration will increase further to approx 50ppm when cabin heat is engaged. Its a Yakovlev.

So @maehhh, did you have a look at your plane’s hoses and heat exchanger? Did anything come out of it?

With the M 14 radial it is typically a matter of tightening the various exhaust components as the sheet metal “seals” hardly work as designed for a long time. Just keep checking all joints by knocking with the fist in ten hour periods and tighten. Of course the heat exchanger has to be OK as well. Vic
vic
EDME

An interesting demo on carbon monoxide detectors!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Thanksor the posting, Colm. Good to see that it was the right decision to move to the “chinese” tool.

EDDS , Germany

Thanks for posting.This was very interesting indeed.

Keep in mind that you need to replace these electronic CO detectors on a regular basis, whether it is the cheap chinese, or the one for your home at 00:18.

LFPT, LFPN

Hmmm… interesting! Thanks for posting that.

FWIW, most of the CO detectors of the SleepSafe style that I have seen installed on the PPL training scene were already black and had been like that since for ever

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message